Thunder Quake altering

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtobx24

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening all, hoping I don't get laughed out of here, but here goes... I recently received a, what I believe is, '06 Duratrax Thunder Quake/Nitro Quake. It is complete minus the body. I want to turn it into a electric drag race truck... (slicks, wheelie bar's, drag suspension, ect). I believe the chassis is 1/10-1/12 scale.... My question is what electric motor would be powerful enough to make it worth while... And any other recommendations on spur gears, other part's needed would be greatly appreciated. I know it sounds odd, but it's something different.... Tia

Good evening all, hoping I don't get laughed out of here, but here goes... I recently received a, what I believe is, '06 Duratrax Thunder Quake/Nitro Quake. It is complete minus the body. I want to turn it into an electric drag race truck... (slicks, wheelie bar's, drag suspension, ect). I believe the chassis is 1/10-1/12 scale.... My question is what electric motor would be powerful enough to make it worth while... And any other recommendations on spur gears, other part's needed would be greatly appreciated. I know it sounds odd, but it's something different.... Tia
Can we see some photos?

Welcome Jtobx24! The Castle Creations Mamba X system could work.

Welcome in @Jtobx24 , there is some pretty smart cookies that hang out here, just
be patient and somebody will give you some info.
In the mean time as mentioned above, post some pics and we will go from there.

Good evening all, hoping I don't get laughed out of here, but here goes... I recently received a, what I believe is, '06 Duratrax Thunder Quake/Nitro Quake. It is complete minus the body. I want to turn it into a electric drag race truck... (slicks, wheelie bar's, drag suspension, ect). I believe the chassis is 1/10-1/12 scale.... My question is what electric motor would be powerful enough to make it worth while... And any other recommendations on spur gears, other part's needed would be greatly appreciated. I know it sounds odd, but it's something different.... Tia
Welcome to the RCT fun house! That's a good Ole nitro truck you got there.

Is there any thing wrong with it. You could just make it a nitro drag. Since your talking for fun and it's different. Because there's alot to consider when doing a nitro to electric conversion.

And some times they don't work that well. If they aren't done correctly. And won't last but a single run or bash. It can be done but at what coast to you.

The question is how much are you will to spend. To make it a drag truck. Or you just looking to throw a electric motor and esc in it. And let it rip...

There's a user here, @Maximum_Quake_Pro.com, who could probably answer every question imaginable about that truck, if they're still active.

It might help to make a post in the Nitro or Projects sub-forum, too.

These help? The servos are 2- sx-100's & 1-sx-210
IMG_20230813_071213233_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20230813_071240616_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20230813_071302902_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
screenshot_20230812-132149-png.170022

Screenshot_20230812-132149.png

Welcome Jtobx24! The Castle Creations Mamba X system could work.
Appreciate it, I'll check them out.
Welcome to the RCT fun house! That's a good Ole nitro truck you got there.

Is there any thing wrong with it. You could just make it a nitro drag. Since your talking for fun and it's different. Because there's alot to consider when doing a nitro to electric conversion.

And some times they don't work that well. If they aren't done correctly. And won't last but a single run or bash. It can be done but at what coast to you.

The question is how much are you will to spend. To make it a drag truck. Or you just looking to throw a electric motor and esc in it. And let it rip...
Obviously I don't want to spend stupid money, but if I can make something quicker and faster than the traxxas drag slash ($350), say like $200-250, that'd be cool.
I've had this thing for about a year, but recently became interested in the RC drag racing scene. If I can Frankenstein a drag car out of what I have, make some of the parts myself, why not?
Here's the the build thread to his duratrax quake ele conversion. It wasn't done for drag racing.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/members/maximum_quake_pro-com.55950/
But Max Quake is definitely the guy. That could give you a idea with exactly what needs to be done. To make the Quake a drag truck for sure
Thanks, I appreciate the info AND the welcome!

Last edited:
These help? The servos are 2- sx-100's & 1-sx-210
View attachment 170019View attachment 170020View attachment 170021
screenshot_20230812-132149-png.170022

View attachment 170022

Appreciate it, I'll check them out.

Obviously I don't want to spend stupid money, but if I can make something quicker and faster than the traxxas drag slash ($350), say like $200-250, that'd be cool.
I've had this thing for about a year, but recently became interested in the RC drag racing scene. If I can Frankenstein a drag car out of what I have, make some of the parts myself, why not?

Thanks, I appreciate the info AND the welcome!
The trick to that will be the 2 speed trans. Would have to change it to a single speed trans. Or only use the one gear if possible. Conversions are a little tricky.

But they are possible. Just takes a little time. Not sure how much tourqe the trans and drive line would take.. the axles are metal correct? And the gears in the trams are plastic. With the metal spurs??

Back