thoughts on fuel tanks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenman242

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hi everybody,as some of you may know i'm in the process of building and tuning my revo picco .26 build.as its way to hot here to try and tune the picco i thought i'd sit inside and look at it.....this is never good as the mod bug hits and all of the sudden i'm working ebay overtime and my wallet is empty:)
I've got the tekno receiver box conversion coming and was wondering what everyone is using tank wise with this,i have read that the 250cc ofna tank is used but have read mixed reveiws on it.i do have a brand new trx 150cc tank on it now and i'm not realyy fussed about runtime but if the bigger tank is better and wont cause tuning issues i will order one

The only benefit of the large tank is run time.

If you have a brand new 150cc tank and are not worried about run time, dont waste your money on the larger tank.

I fitted the larger tank and took it off as I was having trouble nailing a tune - rich when full, lean when empty.

Mate made his work, but for me personally, it was not worth the trouble - I prefer the weight saving of the smaller tank - and I'm happy to splash and dash . . .

I ordered a tekno kit with a 250cc tank off eBay. Hope it works out.

I have heard about lots of tuning trouble with 250cc. Wish it wasn't true. Id like longer run times but oh well. Not worth fighting a tune IMO

@ausher let us know how it goes ill stick to the 150cc for now maybe

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Techno kit on one of mine. I used a buggy 150cc tank. I think it was a Mugen... been years ago so memory fades. It made it a lot easier to tune than the huge tanks.

OK I will... hope I don't have tuning problems I use about 1' of fuel line double looped maybe it will keep it from leaning out when tank runs low.

---------- Post added at 2:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:03 AM ----------

Member TK5310 uses a 250cc tank with a tekno kit. Don't know if he has any problems with it....

Was that the mbx mugen tank joey??
I priced up the ofna tank and its about $13 so price isnt an issue I just want to tank sure if I do it I'm not creating tuning probs for myself, I've got my fair share of them now and dont need to make it worse

I've got the hyper 1/7 250cc tank.
Thing was a pig, the cap seal leaked a lot so the tune was all over the place.

The fix was a shim washer under the O-ring to push it out more & get a better seal, it's mint now, doesn't even lean out when the tank is almost empty. I've run it out of juice a few times coz I didn't realise it was getting low, the tune is very stable now.

Run time with my picco .28 is about the same as a 3.3 with a stock tank LOL.
With the stock tank I'd drain it in about 4-5 minutes.

I think ill grab one on my next order from amain @TK5310 don t suppose you have a part number on that shim by any chance

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, no, I found it in a box of washers & shims at my workshop.

You want something about .015" thick that just fits over the centre of the fuel cap thingy above the O-ring. You could cut something out of a sheet off brass shim stock if you couldn't find anything.

Or you could head to a bearing/seal supplier & find an O-ring the same diameter but thicker material.

ok no worries ill investigate when it arrives

I had the mugen mbx5 tank and it desperately needed a baffle inside so I chucked it. Now I use the Ofna violator and it works even better than the stock tank.
Think performance before you think capacity!

^^the violator as in the same one used in the t maxx conversion??
i want the best performing tank as i dont need anymore problems tuning it,the heat here as made it impossible to even run the damn thing since changing to a medium plug

It should do just fine with a medium plug, regardless of outside temps.
My violator tank came off of my maxx.

Might order a couple of different tanks over the next few weeks
Haha outside temp was 110F in your scale yesterday and not much better till maybe sunday

I got the tekno kit with the ofna 1/7 tank and the tank definitely doesn't have a good seal. The o ring on the cap isn't big enough to fit inside the filler neck. I got some o rings but I don't think they are fuel resistant...
I think the stock revo tank o ring may be big enough...

ok I installed the red o ring from the stock tank over the one on the ofna lid and it sealed up nice and air tight:D

2013-02-16_20-58-33_927_zpsb9553cab.gif

2013-02-16_20-58-49_711_zpsd653ca1a.gif

Last edited:
have you run that tank yet,i'm holding off running my revo until all my parts and stuff are here,for the time being i'll stick the stock 150cc tank for now
i'd really like to know how the 250cc goes like tune wise