Thoughts on Available Nitro Fuel Choices

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello D3MON - thank you for your reply and the breakdown on the oil properties. May I ask what fuel(s) you personally like to use? Brands/Nitro%/Oil Content
Again you couldn't be more WRONG land fuel uses the same ingredients as air fuel. The only difference is the % oil lube content. Less oil lube promotes a lean run and less tuning ability. More oil will protect you engine and it will last longer giving you a broader tuning window. Traxxas fuel is 14% and people say it's junk. So more is better. True less oil lube will give a smaller tuning level and greater chance to ruin you engine. For back yard bashing stick with more oil lube. Buying quarts is the biggest rip off! You will use more fuel the a quart in one day with a T maxx. Remember oil lube is a friction reducer and temperature reducer It is not coolant. as D3mon states. Car fuel uses less oil lube and You know that is discolors the inside of the engine. which causes more damage. Any fuel with less than14 Oil lube is race fuel. Are you clowns racing. I really doubt it. Making any money real racing??/ I doubt it. You are just back yard bashers. So still with a 14-18% oil lube. Save the money and pain of tuning with less oil lube. Your engine will last longer with more oil lube. The % is so small by volume. A nitro engine is a nitro engine. They all run the same.

Last edited:
lately i have been using Morgan Fuels Sidewinder race blend 20% or 30%, with 12% oil mostly because it is available locally so i dont have to wait, and helps out the LHS, it runs really well in all of my engines, big and small blocks.
if i can no longer get that i plan to use Bones Brew Fuel 30/10 or 30/12, they have a deal where if you buy 3 gallons get free shipping, which equals out to be about 33$ a gallon. they do sell quarts for about 8-9$, but you will be paying shipping. they do ship all their fuel by the quart so the Hazmat fee is as minimal as it can get. (no hazmat fee when you buy the 3 gallons option).
VP racing fuels sells some good options, their master basher blend was "OK", but i noticed quite a bit narrower of a tuning window.
I had tried traxxas top fuel a few times, but ended up using it as a cleaning solution as it just wasn't worth the hassle of being such a narrow tuning window and it seemed to really lack power compared to any other 30% nitro fuel i used, even when it was a good tune on it, noticed also it was a lot more susceptible to temperature changes.
stick with good brands like byrons, VP, Bones brew, Morgan fuels, etc.

Throwing out an update - went with the S-W Hobby offering. Just got my two gallons of 20% Nitro and 14% oil content fuel. was a total of $72.66 with shipping to my front door. Cannot wait to try it out and report back.

I expect in the very near future a new nitro motor and/or nitro truck so wanted to have the protection of the 14% oil content on hand.

I hope you realize that the tuning window is smaller with less oil lube. I hope the fuel you bought has castor oil to clean the engine out.

Throwing out an update - went with the S-W Hobby offering. Just got my two gallons of 20% Nitro and 14% oil content fuel. was a total of $72.66 with shipping to my front door. Cannot wait to try it out and report back.

I expect in the very near future a new nitro motor and/or nitro truck so wanted to have the protection of the 14% oil content on hand.
definitely let us know how you like it, not a bad price to the door for sure.
definitely curious what new nitro you plan on getting as well.

I hope you realize that the tuning window is smaller with less oil lube. I hope the fuel you bought has castor oil to clean the engine out.

I think the Traxxas fuel I was using was also at 14% and never really had problems tuning the engine on it. Allegedly the S-W fuel would be 12% Synthetic + 2% Castor Oil for a total oil content of 14%. Will let you know how it shakes out.

definitely let us know how you like it, not a bad price to the door for sure.
definitely curious what new nitro you plan on getting as well.

Will absolutely let you guys know how it shakes out. Really hoping for good results here and I think I will get them. I cannot do any better on price so hopefully this becomes a reliable go-to product. Been looking at the 3.3 T-Maxx, 3.3 Revo, Losi 8ight, and the HPI Savage X 4.6.

I think the Traxxas fuel I was using was also at 14% and never really had problems tuning the engine on it. Allegedly the S-W fuel would be 12% Synthetic + 2% Castor Oil for a total oil content of 14%. Will let you know how it shakes out
It 'is good fuel I have 3 cases left but will no longer be buying as the shipping is outrageous. now. I have to buy local to save the shipping.

Will absolutely let you guys know how it shakes out. Really hoping for good results here and I think I will get them. I cannot do any better on price so hopefully this becomes a reliable go-to product. Been looking at the 3.3 T-Maxx, 3.3 Revo, Losi 8ight, and the HPI Savage X 4.6.
out of those options, i would definitely recommend the Losi, savage, or might even be worth looking into some kyosho models, like the inferno neo.
another I've seen people talking well about is the Hobao Hyper MT.
all of the other options start out with a big block so more power, the parts themselves are stronger, you can make traxxas rigs durable, but takes quite a bit to do so, and price point. T-maxx and Revo 3.3 both are 500$ each, where the savage is 500$ (hobby recreational products is the primary distributor at this point, and is still fresh in HPI making a comeback so the trucks themselves are out of stock often with everyone buying them, but check into their website frequently and should be able to get one.
the Losi 8ight is right around 350$, and starts off with a great powerplant and very durable with excellent parts support, and the Losi 8ight T is 400$.
the kyosho options are very comparable to pricing to the Losi rigs and kyosho is a high quality brand alongside, main factor is parts support if you can get parts local.
my thoughts anyways, take it for what you will
but can't really go wrong with any new nitro always fun in their own way.

out of those options, i would definitely recommend the Losi, savage, or might even be worth looking into some kyosho models, like the inferno neo.
another I've seen people talking well about is the Hobao Hyper MT.
all of the other options start out with a big block so more power, the parts themselves are stronger, you can make traxxas rigs durable, but takes quite a bit to do so, and price point. T-maxx and Revo 3.3 both are 500$ each, where the savage is 500$ (hobby recreational products is the primary distributor at this point, and is still fresh in HPI making a comeback so the trucks themselves are out of stock often with everyone buying them, but check into their website frequently and should be able to get one.
the Losi 8ight is right around 350$, and starts off with a great powerplant and very durable with excellent parts support, and the Losi 8ight T is 400$.
the kyosho options are very comparable to pricing to the Losi rigs and kyosho is a high quality brand alongside, main factor is parts support if you can get parts local.
my thoughts anyways, take it for what you will
but can't really go wrong with any new nitro always fun in their own way.

Yea the more I think about it the more I want to go for a big block set up and give another brand a shot. I meant to say Losi 8ight-T earlier (the truggy), has great reviews. But I do like the HPI Savage a lot too - seems like the brand will be able to get parts out to the market which is reassuring. Will need to look more into the Kyosho products as I am not familiar with them.

Forget kyosho! They are even worse. You can't get parts today.

Yea that Hazmat charge is a real killer. I did mock orders of four or six gallons and having an extra $75 added on top of a $30 shipping charge is a bit much. If I can find something at a brick and mortar shop I will ask about getting a deal if purchasing multiple gallons. Could not hurt to ask. Oddly, if you select the fuel in the quart sizes, there is no hazmat charge...
I have several cases of RC boat fuel I need to get rid of, do not know the date of all the cases