This is why we can't have nice things

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOoSmOotH

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So was on tank 5 of the Savage Octane and I accidentally loosened the wrong grub screw when adjusting the shift point and this is what I ended up with:

uDeHuzN.jpg

Lets just say in order to remove the transmission you have to remove the exhaust. Now to get me some replacement parts....

New gear and a replacement grub screw are in my near future.

Man that sucks, I hope the parts are in stock.

I definitely agree. I was on my first gallon on my 5SC and I ended up misjudging my distance and I hit a small street sign pole and cracked the body along with damaging a front shock. I recently purchased a new 2014 Accord. I go to a friends shop and he noticed something on the plastic body kit and I managed to kick up a rock and it scratched a couple spots. I think it's just Murphy's law and these things make our things ours. I would look up Ebay for your 3 speed parts if they're the same as the XL.

Jennys rc is chop shopping them now , the engine is a hot price of property just hope people realize you need the ignition system to go with it...

yea.. I looked up the parts I will need and its going to cost me around $10 to fix. luckily it uses the same innards as the normal savage 3 speed. I cleaned out the metal shards in the inside. Anyone have any grease recommendations for the transmission?

Oooh. Well we have all done something similar. And for anyone who hasn't oops'd and broken something, they are either a liar or haven't been in the hobby very long :D

As for grease, I've been using Mobil 1 100% Synthetic for at least 10 years. Great stuff. Its sticky and clings really well. It can handle extreme hot and cold temps better than regular grease. There is not a single grease-able part in a RC that will ever come close to the forces/conditions seen in a 1:1. So this is overkill for RC's in that respect. But what I like is how slippery it is and how well it stay clinging to spun parts. Only takes just enough to barely coat the gears and its stays put. I have never taken apart a gearbox or diff where I used this and found them dry. Same for sealed bearings.

I would stay away from any petroleum based lube because the lube can break down the plastics. I like the Fast Eddy grease. It costs a bit but the amount you get will last you awhile.

You can always try that numbing KY.....it should make it "last" longer. :D

Well fixed it up today and it's shifting into 2nd nicely. Need to adjust 3rd and get some more tanks through it.

I always thought the tfe grease was just Lukas red n tacky.

Back