Think I need a hotter glow plug?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth2669

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So its cold here now(20-30F) and I've been having tuning problems, can't get the truck to idle with a reasonable "idle gap" with the LSN dialed properly. When I got it to idle somewhat decent with the lsn dialed the carb was open nearly half way. I have to run the LSN crazy rich, blowing blue smoke at idle, in order to get it to idle with a normal gap. After some research they say a hotter plug will help with this and i'm currently running a 3232X which I was told is hot? I want a considerably hotter plug anyone know what will work?

crank the nitro up, way up. like 35-40%

Sounds like the tune is way off to me. How was it in better weather? A hotter plug will help but the best thing to do is put a baby sock or heavy foil over the head to keep it up to operating temps. I've been able to run my Savage in 15F temp without the sock/foil.

This sounds like the problem I'm having, wont idle at the right lsn. I'm hoping mine is an air leak but I'm not sure. Hopefully you will get this straightened out

Well i've completely sealed my engine and done an air leak test with no leaks. My temps are between 220 to 260 but if I let it idle a long period they'll dip to 190 with nothing covering the head. Like I said I have the HSP fat(nice blue trail of exhaust) just for saftey in cold weather but its no where near fat enough to effect the idle the way it is. With the LSN flush with the barrel(stock setting) it won't idle, well it will but at an insanely high rpm and in order to get it down I have to open the idle screw way too far. If I were to guess i'd say the barrel in the carb is open to 40% throttle. If I fatten up the LSN it will bring the idle down. So i'm saying its not in the tuning because i've tried stock.
Good call I didn't think of that, it should increase the burn rate just like a hotter plug right?

Actually that is not the best idea, and I would not recommend blindly using 40% to anyone. Especially in a engine that likes to use and "is" using hot plugs. You are always just full of good advise.
But on a serious note I would try a hotter plug and see how that works and even the sock on the cooling head. Do one at a time until you know how it is going to run and also keep an eye on your temps too. I also agree with Racer that your tune is still off. You said richening up you LSN helped? If it helped do it. You may even back out your HSN a tad too. Your idle may be super high because it is not getting enough fuel at low carb openings. Have you done a pinch test on the fuel line? When it is running pinch the fuel line a couple inches back from the carb and see how long it takes to die. Should be around 3-4 seconds. But honestly you still sound like you may be too lean on both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that is not the best idea, and I would not recommend blindly using 40% to anyone. Especially in a engine that likes to use and "is" using hot plugs. You are always just full of good advise.
But on a serious note I would try a hotter plug and see how that works and even the sock on the cooling head. Do one at a time until you know how it is going to run and also keep an eye on your temps too. I also agree with Racer that your tune is still off. You said richening up you LSN helped? If it helped do it. You may even back out your HSN a tad too. Your idle may be super high because it is not getting enough fuel at low carb openings. Have you done a pinch test on the fuel line? When it is running pinch the fuel line a couple inches back from the carb and see how long it takes to die. Should be around 3-4 seconds. But honestly you still sound like you may be too lean on both.

Thanks, my next question is what is a compatable glow plug that's hotter? When I have the LSN where the truck will idle I can count to 6, counting slow, example: one one thousand 2-1 thousand 3-1 thousand, etc. and fuel comes out the pipe and puffs blue at idle. My temps seem fine like I said before they're between 220 and 260 depending on how often i'm WOT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back