The TC4Drifter Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, just an update.

With the money I may be getting, I'll be buying a screw set instead. I'm pretty pissed about the screws thing, and since I opened two of them I'm gonna be returning the other two packs back for store credit. That's only like $3 though, so that may just get me like some shims that I need for the rack.

Some of the parts I bought last week still haven't come in. The guys at RCboyz said that it was shipped Monday, and it should be here soon. I also bought a wheel and wheel mount shim set, but haven't heard from it yet. May call tomorrow.

Also, if I have some spare cash after the screw set, I'll be spending it on the brake rotor type wheel hexes from 3Racing.

I was thinking about it, but I'm really concerned about center of weight. With a LiPo, it can throw everything off, and I'm looking for a way to use weights for it to equal the weight of a NiCD, but I would think that would disable to point of a LiPo being lightweight. If I had a chassis like a Pro-D, which has it's battery centered, then yes, a LiPo would be no problem :D.

According to one of the guys at my LHS who races electric and is sponsored by Team Associated, there will be split lipo hard packs coming out soon to meet IFMAR guidelines. This will allow for a single center pack for chassis like the Pro-D or split the pack for one on each side for weight distribution/non-centered chassis.

I'll see if I can find out more info from him.

Cool, I could need a split pack (Saddle pack?) LiPo. Do you mean they will have it one pack a hardpack and the other one just wrapped so it gives more weight? Hopefully it does work.

Cool, I could need a split pack (Saddle pack?) LiPo. Do you mean they will have it one pack a hardpack and the other one just wrapped so it gives more weight? Hopefully it does work.

A split saddle pack. Basically a clipped together hardpack that can split to a saddle to 2 hardpacks

Ohh, that's cool. I hope I can go LiPo soon, but I'm pretty scared of the dangers of LiPo!

UPDATE UPDATE!
I wonder what came in the mail today :ponder2:?
PARTS! WOO!
DSC_0040.jpg

Here's what it is like installed.
DSC_0043.jpg

The servo is an Airtronics 94358. .10Speed at 6V! Just what I needed :D.

I'm still waiting for the mounting hardware to come in for the center spine. I'm also going to be buying a screw set from FastEddy.

I will be upgrading the differential housings to carbon, so it's better. They are stripped :(.

More coming :D.

Got my battery strap mounted. I still need to use the countersink drill bit to make the taper. I think one of the plastic pieces is mounted a bit crooked, but it still works fine. I still need to install the side pieces to stop the chance of the battery pack to slide out.

With a stick pack:
DSC_0065.jpg

With 5 cells (I lost one):
DSC_0066.jpg

Last edited:
ITS ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
So I bought hella stuff at my LHS because their prices lowered! They finally have prices like online :D. So I spent like $200 to get my TC4 finished. I still need a screw set, and for my mounting hardware to come in. I'm also troubleshooting everything right now, so yeah.

Final Build:

My saddle pack came in:
DSC_0256.jpg

I'm gonna return it :x

Anyways:
Here's the rough draft of where everything would go.
DSC_0233.jpg

Working on it with my sucky tool :lol:
DSC_0235.jpg

FINISHED!
DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

The mess:
DSC_0258.jpg

Photoshoot?
DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

Thanks. I need to clean up the wiring a bit :D.

Man I suck at drifting. I brought it to Sheldon's today and I sucked. Gotta rebuild the steering rack, it's causing my steering to act weird.

Just thought I'd bring this up to start another project on it.

So after getting everything, I've decided to do a counter-steer project. What this will do is make the rear wheels spin faster than the front, and this will make my drifts easier to control because it will require more counter-steer to control your drift. I just need to find a bigger gear for the differential, and if not just to make a custom.

Just thought I'd bring this up to start another project on it.

So after getting everything, I've decided to do a counter-steer project. What this will do is make the rear wheels spin faster than the front, and this will make my drifts easier to control because it will require more counter-steer to control your drift. I just need to find a bigger gear for the differential, and if not just to make a custom.

wont that drastically shorten the life of the diffs?

Well not really, since the differentials are either tightened or locked, and I'm running a spool in the rear (The one that I'm changing) and the only thing that needs to be changed is the differential gear.

Oh, I was mistaken from earlier. I needed to change it to a smaller differential gear, not a bigger differential gear.

thats a half decent rig

I'm thinking about making a nitro drifter soon... now that i have a 1/8 buggy

That's what I'm gonna be doing for the NSX body. I fcked up the RX8, bad crash :(. I've seen that tutorial off of GroovyDrift and really wanted to try it, but I just want to get the Savage running ASAP before I start fixing the TC4 more. Not sure what I said last time from the update, but I shortened the motor wires, added a SS screw set, got an antenna (ROFLMAO!), RPM ball ends, and upgraded to a HiTec HI-Speed servo. I still need to fix the toe-in on the front, but everything else is A-OK. I really want to change the gearing too. Compared to the other drifters at the track, I'm slooooooooooow. I think gearing would change it a lot. I also need to weigh the sides of it. It seems way to heavy, causing it to lean left while I'm going straight, and all my adjustments are fine.
Oh, and project countersteer is a no-go. Way to hard to do. I don't think I'll find a gear with less teeth.

I also got carbon fiber shock towers.

Last edited:
Back