the next best thing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevelle

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so guys, its been a few weeks now since i started my first savage up:D what should be my 1st upgrade on it? :ponder2:

I wouldn't buy any hop ups till you don't brake anything,if something brakes then replace that part with hop up...
let's say if arms brake it's a good choice to buy RPM parts.

rpm arms, cen diffs, flm chassis, servo plate and engine mount, mid tank, steering servo, beadlocks, LRP .28, 3 shoe clutch, MIP cvd's and a motor saver air filter,

That should keep you busy for awhile

rpm arms, cen diffs, flm chassis, servo plate and engine mount, mid tank, steering servo, beadlocks, LRP .28, 3 shoe clutch, MIP cvd's and a motor saver air filter,

HA HA!! yep flm knows how to build a savage..

if its a stock rig, 1st upgrade should be a failsafe.

then better steering servo (move stock steering servo to brake duty), linkage mod, and a hump pack. if your feeling froggy you can also replace the bushings in the steering post for bearings. I'm not sure what size they are, but there should be a post or 3 on here that talks about them. that will get you started. the savage is a tough rig to begin with. good choice!! the steering and brakes are the weak point. but there a simple fix. The savage is known to eat diffs like cheerios, so you may want to pull them out and shim them for a better lifespan.

wider wheels help, as does a lower stance. that thing is very top heavy.

you can upgrade other things later, but i would just do these simple ones and have fun. upgrade as you go!

RPM isn't really needed unless you actually break the stock arms.

And the LRP .28 is not going to be discontinued by the time the new LRP .30 is released in the US. Parts are becoming very scarce now.

But for a new savage a fail safe is mandatory

RPM isn't really needed unless you actually break the stock arms.

And the LRP .28 is not going to be discontinued by the time the new LRP .30 is released in the US. Parts are becoming very scarce now.

But for a new savage a fail safe is mandatory

What savage owner hasn't broken stock arms? For as cheap as arms are, to me its a no brainer.
Unless the .30 revs as quick as the .28, i see the .28 still being popular. Regardless of availability, its still a great engine. CNR brakes are impossible to find but if i ever find another pair i will buy them since they are just THAT good.

I just got my first savage within the last week, its an xl. I installed a cen pipe for it and i'm in the process of the uniflow mod. I already broke the rear right axle carrier so thats a must.
But I'm really interested in what Beason said "then better steering servo (move stock steering servo to brake duty), linkage mod''. Does some sell a modified linkage system?

Last edited:
What savage owner hasn't broken stock arms? .

I have only broken 1 arm in the six to seven years I have had my savage ss, and that was driver error, I nailed a curb coming around a corner powersliding on sand in the street at wot. It made a nasty sound when that sucker snapped!

I have only broken 1 arm in the six to seven years I have had my savage ss, and that was driver error, I nailed a curb coming around a corner powersliding on sand in the street at wot. It made a nasty sound when that sucker snapped!

i think the city planted magnets in our curbs. I smack them pretty regular.

You can always just bash and fix it as it breaks.

thanks for all the good advise ;) i just broke suspension arms lower and upper going through the yard WOT and hit the clothes line poll:whhooo:

0331091856.jpg

0331091901.jpg

Last edited:
If you can't justify an upgrade, wait until you break and THEN upgrade. Thats what some people do, others just get upgrades from the begining to save the aggro.

It all comes down to personal choice.

thanks for all the good advise ;) i just broke suspension arms lower and upper going through the yard WOT and hit the clothes line poll:whhooo:

View attachment 7556

View attachment 7557

Nice work!

I'm on my 4th year with my Savage, no broken arms yet and I don't know why with some of the stuff I've hit. Where's the wood, I better start knocking :hehe:

If you just bash and still all stock, Beason has given good advice :thumbup:

I just got my first savage within the last week, its an xl. I installed a cen pipe for it and i'm in the process of the uniflow mod. I already broke the rear right axle carrier so thats a must.
But I'm really interested in what Beason said "then better steering servo (move stock steering servo to brake duty), linkage mod''. Does some sell a modified linkage system?

i havent seen a "kit" but you just need a couple of ofna linkage sets.

i can't find any pics of my old setup but do a search for "linkage mod" or "slider mod" and you should be able to find something