The $100 HPI Baja

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to read this from beginning to end. this is kinda of what I'm doing right now with a TA SCT10 4x4 but I'm trying to build two of them. Just tell me how fun or frustrating this was for you so I can get an idea. I love reading this cheap finds and then the process of a good build.
It wasn't too frustrating, the money aspect was tho (i always plan it out based on what I think I'll make in the tike in building)cuz stuff just kept changing but i got it. It also was fun as I've had a different Baja before this , so I know how they work from nut to bolt. Byt there was some hang ups this far, such as the exhuast, the bracket is very stupid (don't fit right and there's no instructions). Aswell as the header is a pain to get on.

Good job on removing the purple. I don't know why they do that color. I removed everything purple that came on a Savage I got a while back. Somehow it ended up costing me almost 2 grand because this is what it turned into. If you look real close you can see the purple gasket where the manifold meets the engine block. That and the rubber accordion on the carb is all that's left of the purple.

1582499026681.png

Last edited:
Good job on removing the purple. I don't know why they do that color. I removed everything purple that came on a Savage I got a while back. Somehow it ended up costing me almost 2 grand because this is what it turned into. If you look real close you can see the purple gasket where the manifold meets the engine block. That and the rubber accordion on the carb is all that's left of the purple.

View attachment 121122
That's a crazy looking Savage ?
I personally don't mind the purple, if it's in good condition. Mine was beat up, scratched and fadded, and nobody makes purple aftermarket parts (well, a few do but they are clone brands so I won't support that), they do orange, silver and black tho, so I am doing orange, silver and black ? and it looks more modern

Stuff for the motor has arrived!
IMG_20200226_142640_158.jpg

nice!!! what all is left to acquire?!
Axles, shock fluid, pinion , spur gear carrier, and brake mount , think it's $132 worth of stuff. Not bad at all, hoping to be driving in March April time frame ! And I just completed the assembly, video coming soon
15827549016987316764942140444420.jpg

Here's the first 2 parts of assembly. More.to come ?

View attachment 121122

Holy moly, that is the most beautiful IS chassis truck I've seen in a long, long time!

She is looking great. I would love to have a gas car but finances are a issue...

K so last week I went to start it and , no spark. So after diagnosing i figured it was the ignition coil. Ordered one up, and it showed up today. Installed it and, well, the video talks ?

Today I did my transmission. All built and installed ? axles are coming Saturday. The list is very short now, only about $60 worth of stuff left ?
IMG_20200326_192142.jpg

IMG_20200326_192140.jpg

IMG_20200326_192137.jpg

Back