Testing 8 buggy shocks on savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shogun1122

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I decided to see if i could get 8 buggy shocks to work on a savage. I am running ofna 9.5 rear shocks in the front, and UE Racer X shocks in the rear. There were some clearence problems at first, but i think that i have them just about fixed. The Setup seems very strong and capiable. I have done many hand drops from around 7ft, the suspention took it and was begging for more. I have had one day of bashing on them, where they held up great. I havent pushed the setup very hard yet, as i havent been able to find a jump to really challenge them. Anyway enough with the chatting here are the pics.
8 Buggys 006.jpg

8 Buggys 007.jpg

8 Buggys 008.jpg

8 Buggys 012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope get an account at Photo Bucket.com pretty good and allow hotlinking (its what i use for my sig pic) and best of all its free!

E-mail them to me, and I'll host them and get them posted this evening when I get home. Check your PMs for my E-mail addy.

curious though as I need to change up my MGT shocks. Skymaxx.. would 4 Ofna Buggy rear shocks work at each corner with like white hard springs and 45 wt oil? Or am I better off getting all 8? Or just get some associated shocks?

I ran Mugen shocks, 1 per corner with Kyosho white springs. The thing was solid. This experiment with 8 buggy shocks total should be very interesting to see, and should make it that much more solid.

I think it is up to you and your wallet. Four were enough for me.

hmm I can get the shocks cheap as I have a hook up at Horizon Hobby. I was thinking of the OFNA shocks but I will compare them to the kyosho length.

Ofna shocks should work just fine. I used Kyosho springs because they were stiffer than the Mugen springs that came with my shocks.

Images hosted and added to your original post.

Looks pretty hardcore with all eight and the shot of you dropping it from roof height is pretty impressive. Did it bottom out at all when dropped from that height?

what oil wt are you using? and which springs?

lol - you say that as if a 7 foot DROP test isnt torture! LMAO!

Some 7 foot drops can be more punishing than a 20 foot jump. At least with a jump you are also moving forward ;)

Thats an awesome setup you got going there man! Glad to see you still pegging away!

Well, it was a little difficult to tell if it bottomed out, as i wasent that close to the truck when it landed. It handeled it just fine as it took like 5 or 6 drops to get a good pic. It is 30 wt all the way around and the front springs are kyosho (white) and the rear are the springs(stiff) that came with the racer x shocks. I also have about 1/4th inch of fuel tubing at the bottom of the shock shaft.

the throw from the house was inpressive but then again why??

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty stout set-up.

BTW, looks like you need to mow your roof.

you better get off that roof before momma see's you spend all that money on that damn car then you go and climb on the roof....damage the roof ...lol i think you need some round -up, nice truck what kind of roll bar is that?

The Roll bar is the one that new era sells. It is pretty strong. What looks like grass on the roof is acutally some kind of lattace(sp?) vine that is climbing on the roof. It does look like weeds though. Thanks for compliments on the truck its a hell of a basher.

I'm doing the 1/8th scale buggy mod except I'm only using 4 and attaching the bottoms of the shocks to my top arms. This amazingly makes the arms set parrallel to ground and should offer better handling.

You must be using the front shocks of a buggy or attaching the bottom portion of the shock at a very wide position on the upper arm. Rear buggy shocks attached to the upper arms will retain the ride height. That is what Shogun has (upper arms and rear buggy shocks).

Back