Temp gun

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unccpathfinder

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys...I am just getting into this as most of you prob have seen by now..but I want to get a temp gun but dont want to spend a good chunk of change on it...would like to stay below like $40 but I dont want to get too big of a POS that would be as worthless as not even having 1...I have a feeling I'm going to get the "dont go cheap" responses but I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask if there is a good prices good quality temp gun out there

Thanks in advance

dtxp3100.jpg

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMG5&P=ML

$25!

it's one of the best out there. works great!

i use the same exact one, it may not be super precise but its close enough!

once you get used to nitro though, you will use it less and less. you will tune more for performance, and check the temps just to be safe.

temp sensor

How important is it to have a temp gun? I have a t-maxx and do not have a temp gun. Should I get an onboard sensor or will that end up smashed up too?

temperature is the enemy... in almost all hobbies / professions.

if your engine is running too hot, you could severely shorten the lifespan of your engine. do yourself and your truck a favor and go drop $25 on that flashpoint i showed earlier in this thread.

try to keep it around 200-220F. you'll get some great performance, and a nice long life out of your engine.

same goes with electric motors. that's a different story, but along the same lines.

HEAT KILLS!

temp sensor

Done! Clicked on your hyperlink and bought it $28 and some change including shipping. I'll bet it'll be here before I can fix my truck!

excellent! i've had mine for almost 3 years and still works flawlessly. same battery too!

it's fun too, to just check the temperature of stuff... non R/C related =P

i wish i could work on my truck... =( . it's not really broken though, haha. i can fix that, though...

Damage

I wish I didn't have to work on mine. It had an unfortunate meeting with a railroad tie (hidden in tall grass) at pretty much wide open throttle. T-maxx had just hit 2nd when it the railroad tie grabbed it. So as I wait for parts (motor mount, flywheel, spur gear, and RF bulkhead) I dream of being able to use my truck, I've only run it teice beyond break in so I'm still fresh with it.

Just a thought if you want to check the accuracy of your gun. Take a chunk of metal or something and put it in a pot of boiling water (try to keep it off the bottom of the pan) and remove it with some tongs as it will be hot. Read from the temp gun. Boiling water is near 212 so if your gun is reading 230/240 then take that into consideration

measuring body temp is not the same. Metal has reflectivity and will get different readings based on the emistivity value set in the gun.

As for guns, I highly recommend the O'donnels TGX1, it's very accurate (mine is within 4 degrees of a $200+ exogen), it's backlit and has stop watch. Also just under $40