Temp Gun or Onboard...Whats the Diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooo, I see. it is a bead that you put by the crankcase...

Onboard temp sensors get the readings via a coil that is wraped around the base fin of the cooling head. A temp gun allows you to take a reading at the glowplug. I prefer to use a temp gun because the onboard sensors tend to be a little bit off. The temp gun can also be off by +/- a few degrees but it also allows you to keep weight off the car (if that's important to you) and also keeps the car less cluttered. Space is at a premium in these cars.

I would assume temp guns are more accurate.

I use a raytek w/laser temp gun.

Battery seems to last forever.

Couldn't you just hold that bead over the engine head and take the temp? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

The temp sensor must be in physical contact with the head at the base fin for an accurate reading. As Bouzouki stated, the laser temp guns are more accurate.

does anyone know anyone who has a temp gun cheap for sale?

I like temp guns better then onboards, if you have the body on you must have the onboard in a place were it can be seen or you have to take the body off to see it, but with a temp gun just point and shoot.

I've always used onboards then this weekend at the track I found out my on-board was 50 degrees off :shrug: . Bad news is I may have broken the motor in too cool. Good news is I got to lean the sucker out way more. So now my temp gauge says 310F I'm really only running 260F. I'm gonna get a handheld soon for back up.

The duratraxx flashpoint, OFNA ... both are less than $30.

what one would you guys recommend?

I use both the flashpoint and OFNA temp gun. IF I had to get a new one and price wasn't a problem, I'd get the Raytec gun but they can get expensive.

JatoFever said:
I've always used onboards then this weekend at the track I found out my on-board was 50 degrees off :shrug: . Bad news is I may have broken the motor in too cool. Good news is I got to lean the sucker out way more. So now my temp gauge says 310F I'm really only running 260F. I'm gonna get a handheld soon for back up.

I got similar results between my venom onboard and my PE temp gun. The onboard reads 20 degrees higher than the gun at temps above 200.

Last edited:
whats your point? Zandor already bought it. Anyone else?

I used a Raytek laser temp gun for about 5 years now, its nice and I love it, BUT, I've recently installed a Venom on-board temp monitor in my NTC3. The thing I like about the on-board is that is has a "recall" button for the highest temp reached during racing. I've also compared the two and found that the Venom was only off +/- 2 degrees compared to the Raytek. The Venom is also positioned so that I can look through the windshield and see it without taking off the lid. I'll keep comparing the two just to make sure the on-board doesn't start giving false readings.

I use both on most of my rigs. I find them to be fairly accurate compared to my temp gun. I set mine up like buzzard so that I can see it from the window. I like the peak feature. It is kinda neat to see the different peaks I get with each different body I run on some of my rigs. (T-Maxx and RS4-3 SS road car mostly)

Back