Tekin 45t HD in SCX10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys. I will be installing a Tekin 45t heavy duty into my scx in the next couple of weeks and I am wondering what the best gearing would be. At the moment I have a 84t spur installed for clearance purposes with my MIP driveshafts and a 14 pinion. This is a good gearing combo imo with the 27t stock axial motor but will this be good with a 45t motor? I was thinking to go up to a 19 or 20 pinion so I'd have 84/20 or 84/19.

What do you recommend?

What you are thinking should work, the 45t motor has a lot more torque but is also turns a lots less RPM's , I'd start with the 19t pinion and go from there.

Ya thats what I'll do. At least that will give me better wheel speed. I would assume that because of the motor being much higher in turns than my stock 27t that temps are not as big of an issue?

Ya thats what I'll do. At least that will give me better wheel speed. I would assume that because of the motor being much higher in turns than my stock 27t that temps are not as big of an issue?

Temps can be an issue with any motor if not properly geared, another thing you can do for better wheel speed if you are not already doing it and your electronics are rated for it is go to a 3s 11.1 volt lipo battery, it will make a huge difference in both power and wheel speed. Just remember when you add more power or torque to your system it will be as strong as your weakest link in your drive-train, so you may have to upgrade other things like tranny gears, lockers, etc.

Ya I'm using a 7.4 volt 5000 mah nimh battery. I have already upgraded to RRP trans gears and MIP driveshafts. Lockers will come at another time. Hopefully the nimh batts that I've got don't hold back the performance of the Tekin.