# Teeth

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking for the short answer, nothing complex like orbital window dynamics, on the # of teeth combos.

High # teeth on clutch bell and low # teeth on spur gear = ?

Low # teeth on clutch bell and high # teeth on spur gear = ?

High # teeth on both = ?

Low # teeth on both = ?

What # teeth do spur gears come in?

What # teeth do clutch bells come in?

Thanks.

High # teeth on clutch bell and low # teeth on spur gear = Great High End

Low # teeth on clutch bell and high # teeth on spur gear = Great Low End

High # teeth on both = Good High End (just a hair better than stock)

Low # teeth on both = Good Low End (just a hair better than stock as well)

What # teeth do spur gears come in = 62-78 (highest I can find is 74)

What # teeth do clutch bells come in = 14-24 (highest I found is 22)

Great link = https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/reviews/ratio.htm

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
High # teeth on clutch bell and low # teeth on spur gear = Great High End

Low # teeth on clutch bell and high # teeth on spur gear = Great Low End

High # teeth on both = Good High End (just a hair better than stock)

Low # teeth on both = Good Low End (just a hair better than stock as well)

What # teeth do spur gears come in = 62-78 (highest I can find is 74)

What # teeth do clutch bells come in = 14-24 (highest I found is 22)

Great link = https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/reviews/ratio.htm
Since I have a 21 engine so the off the line is way better than a stock engine I was looking for better top end so I could jump higher and farther. Now I'm getting into acceleration but would changing the gear ratio say 2 higher on the clutch bell and 2 lower on the spur gear make a noticable difference? Also getting into the tranny could the gear ratios there be changed when you had a ton of low end, high ratio, for first gear and a ton of high end, low ratio, for second gear with the shift point set later so that the truck would already be at about the max speed for the gear when it shifted?

What number of teeth are you running now on both? And to answer the rest:
Yes
Yes
and kind of.... (a little confused)

I have found that I can set my shift points with my LSN and HSN just as well. I would mess with the tranny just yet.

Hey El, Christian is right on the money with his answers. One thing I might add though is a 1 tooth change in the clutch bell = about a 3 tooth change in the spur. (that ratio changes with the number of teeth you're talking about) But it is a good rule of thumb. Check out maxxskunkworks.com. Retread has a great gear calculator on there for exact numbers. You will be able to see exactly how much difference each combonation makes.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
What number of teeth are you running now on both? And to answer the rest:
Yes
Yes
and kind of.... (a little confused)

I have found that I can set my shift points with my LSN and HSN just as well. I would mess with the tranny just yet.
I already learned the needle trick for shift points, last night actually. As far as the current setup I have is 72 Spur and 18 Clutch.

As far as the condusing part I think I know where you were confused but I'll get a little more specific if I can. I was thinking about the tranny gears, I know you understood this point. If I had first gear as a higher gear ratio so that it had really fast off the line speed but when it shifted to second it was a really low gear ratio so that it took some time to hit top speed but when it did the thing was doing like 60. Having the shift point, the setting in the tranny, set so that it did not shift until the engine was almost wound out before shifting so that the t-maxx was going about as fast as it could possibly go in first gear before shifting to second and thus allowing for a faster second gear acceleration since the t-maxx was already going fairly fast when it shifted.

No. I followed. I was confused as to the answer to give you. :confused:

Well thats interesting when you put it that way. Without changing the gears, you would now WANT to adjust the shiftpoint in the tranny ;)

Otherwise, you can change the tooth setup in the tranny. The question I cannot answer YET is to what gear ratio extremes you can pull off. Ill dig.

Cool beans. I was thinking a setup like this would be a great way to both worlds, wheelies off the line and great top end.

Back