Tank Gear stripping? Strange noise please help me!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bortg123

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I recently bought this Heng Long tiger 1 (all plastic ver) about 2 days ago after my panther g stopped running. Fresh out of the box, all is well, but I notice a grinding noise coming from the gearbox-ish area of the tank. When I turn, accelerate, or climb too quickly, the treads cease moving and make an awful grinding sound from internally for about a half second. Then it goes and does what it was supposed to, but slows down a bit. It has a plastic gearbox, so I would image this sound coming from there. I’ve noticed a decrease in speed, even after a full charge. Are my gears wearing down or slipping off of each other? recommendations? Any advice helpful here.

I recently bought this Heng Long tiger 1 (all plastic ver) about 2 days ago after my panther g stopped running. Fresh out of the box, all is well, but I notice a grinding noise coming from the gearbox-ish area of the tank. When I turn, accelerate, or climb too quickly, the treads cease moving and make an awful grinding sound from internally for about a half second. Then it goes and does what it was supposed to, but slows down a bit. It has a plastic gearbox, so I would image this sound coming from there. I’ve noticed a decrease in speed, even after a full charge. Are my gears wearing down or slipping off of each other? recommendations? Any advice helpful here.

It sounds like the gear is binding ,Take the gearbox apart an shim the gears an grease them!
Most hardcore RCer's will do this to all their drive train ,an not trust the manufacture's ,
a lot of times the housings have faults in them in which some material has to be removed
from the housings ,that's why most people prefer kits ,so they can build their own diffs!

You wont learn nothing if you don't try!....:cool:

It sounds like the gear is binding ,Take the gearbox apart an shim the gears an grease them!
Most hardcore RCer's will do this to all their drive train ,an not trust the manufacture's ,
a lot of times the housings have faults in them in which some material has to be removed
from the housings ,that's why most people prefer kits ,so they can build their own diffs!

You wont learn nothing if you don't try!....:cool:
I’ll be sure to try! I’ve already ordered an ultimate version two Full metal gearbox (4x the price of this one) made by Heng Long, but I will try to fix the plastic ones and modify them. I’ll be sure to get them fixed, and probably do a custom build for indoors only, but for now Ill focus on repairing the electronics and getting the tank quieter. Thanks!

I’ll be sure to try! I’ve already ordered an ultimate version two Full metal gearbox (4x the price of this one) made by Heng Long, but I will try to fix the plastic ones and modify them. I’ll be sure to get them fixed, and probably do a custom build for indoors only, but for now Ill focus on repairing the electronics and getting the tank quieter. Thanks!

Also ,any binding will also put a strain on the other stuff ,causing over heating of the electrics ,
like the motor or speed control!

Good luck ,an glad your here!...:cool:

I also been looking to get a tank!....:thumbs-up:

Also ,any binding will also put a strain on the other stuff ,causing over heating of the electrics ,
like the motor or speed control!

Good luck ,an glad your here!...:cool:

I also been looking to get a tank!....:thumbs-up:
Oh and by the way, if you want a tank, DONT go with ebay if you have more trustable options. I got mine from eBay, it took a month to come and it didn’t even have a shooting mechanism wired up to it! Plus everything was broken (almost) and the tank had grease EVERYWHERE. Try Taigen tanks if you have a good budget. If not, see if you can get one used. But anyway there really fun :)

My Taigen T34 is about 5 years old. Got the same issue today. Problem was that the screws in the bottom plate holding the gearbox assembly in place had loosened. Tightened them up and all 😊