Tamiya Tundra Scaler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just saw pictures and info today on the new Tamiya 1.9 inch scaler kit, and it is unbelievable. It looks twice as good as the Toyota Hilux, the scale realism in the body is unbelievable. I'm not a Tundra man myself, nothing against them, just haven't fallen in love with one. Well I just fell in love with one, it's absolutely beautiful. For more info, shoot me a PM.

tamiya_58415_toyota_tundra_highlift_1-755366.jpg

i also saw it and it is crazy realistic!!! looks just like some of the real ones with lifts, lights, and bigger tires

I was REALLY hoping that it would be on a scale chassis, but I may buy one and put the high lift chassis to the side and build a chassis for it, using the pics of the 1:1 chassis as inspiration. It would definitely be my most in depth build yet.

oh yeah man, i forgot to say that i did check out a scaler at the comp and i was really into it, it was a hilux yota and was super clean and very in-depth.

I'm not diggin it at all. Actually I think it is pretty ugly. I do like the new push bar with the lights on it over the older oversized bar though.

Thanks for posting the link ImBroken.

I'm not really diggin it either. Looks really unproportioned.. Its something with the body.. I can't put my finger on it.

Wow that looks awesome! I would love to be the proud owner of one of those!

I'm not really diggin it either. Looks really unproportioned.. Its something with the body.. I can't put my finger on it.

looks like a savage with buggy wheels & tires.:\

I think the body would look great on top of a custom chassis setup with the right wheels and tires.

Thanks for the link guys. The pictures and info that I had were from another forum, and I didn't want to post the links to a certain other site out here in the open.

Last edited:
It has to be fairly narrow, look how far outside the body 1.9s sit. It just doesn't look right to me. I really do like that lighted pushbar, I may have to try and pick up one of those for use on another rig once they become available.

ya like charlie said slap it on another chassis, i just like how detailed the body is. although i do think it is proportioned pretty good as is, seems like new trucks have round enough fenders that you can get too big of tires on them with out cutting the fronts out some, wich sucks, kinda makes em funny looking.

With the wheel/tire/lift combos that people are putting on their trucks these days...especially in California, the Tamiya actually looks pretty scale. lol

Maybe a different chassis, and narrower axles and it would look "scale". So then I ask, why buy the kit? Just buy the body when it becomes available and build a scaler around it.

I still think it's ugly, but I don't like Toyotas anyway.

Does Tamiya's site have anything about this truck? I remember when there was talk about the Bruiser being re released someone made a pretty picture of a Tundra similar to this....Could this be a fake?

yeah Ncnitro that makes more sense lol, assuming they sell the body by itself.

I would much rather it be an Escalade EXT or a Chevy. I have a SWEET clodbuster body that I managed to scoop up for my scaler project :)

I would much rather it be an Escalade EXT or a Chevy. I have a SWEET clodbuster body that I managed to scoop up for my scaler project :)

I have one too, I already filled the hole in the hood where the blower was, and the opening in the roof where the sunroof was. I cut the bed out and I am going to give it a dropped bed with wheel wells made from styrene. I was going to build another scaler out of it once I finish the tuber, so I worked on it when there was no available play money for the tuber, but seeing as how it's not a Jeep, I may just finish the body one day when I have the time and sell it. :hehe:

Does Tamiya's site have anything about this truck? I remember when there was talk about the Bruiser being re released someone made a pretty picture of a Tundra similar to this....Could this be a fake?

The Tamiya crew debuted the truck at the 2008 Tamiya TCS Nationals on Sunday, and they had a working prototype there. From what I've heard it's got rubber mirrors, vibrating tailpipes, the shift while driving multispeed tranny, and it really heavy for an RC.

Its for sure a working protoype, so by "fake" if you mean it's just a photoshop creation, it's already way past that. However, it's not on the assembly line yet if that's what you're asking, just a working prototype.

Back