Tamiya flat clear alternative?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Looks like getting tamiya flat clear is going to be difficult. Are there any alternatives out there? Thanks!

Could just get the color you want in flat and spray the outside.

Could just get the color you want in flat and spray the outside.

Would that work ok? I have tried this before with real bad results... I ended up with huge patches that would just chip off the lid. Now it is totally possible that I painted it incorrectly. I really like the look of Robmob's lid and wanted to replicate it. I found a can of PS-55 on ebay.. but I am not paying $50 for it! I don't like it that much! LOL

Krylon flat black works the best for the outside of rc bodies in my opinion. Light coats till its done, shouldnt flake or chip. Scratch it, no biggy, paint it again lol. I've had lots of luck with it.

I wouldnt use it for painting an rc other than doing this one thing though just to clarify.

Top Flight also makes a flat clear.

I have not tried it though since I still have a couple of cans of PS-55 left.

Top Flight also makes a flat clear.

I have not tried it though since I still have a couple of cans of PS-55 left.

Thanks Rob... I will check for that as well. Will Krylon flat clear work ok? It says it will work on Plastic and this is an electric so fuel resistance is not an issue. Also.. do you rough up the outside before you paint or do you just clean and spray? Thanks

Tom

Last edited:
good chance it will be good like the flat black, since its cheap Id just get it and try it on a scrap of lexan first.

On new bodies I trim the overspray film around the windows so that when I pull the film off the windows are still covered so they remain crystal clear once I'm done spraying the flat clear.

As soon as I pull off the film I make sure to not touch the shiny body and start spraying. Coats dry within minutes so you can usually get 3 coats done quick.

I don't rough up the surface at all. I do wipe off any fingerprints with DA if I get any on.

Back