Tamiya Clodbuster noisy metal gears

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1OleHuey

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I put metal gears in stockgear box. Loud & if tighten the gear box housing screws the gears turn harder. Will going to the aluminum gear box make any difference ??
Thanks, Huey

Sounds like something maybe wasn't put back together properly? Tightening the srews of the gearbox housing shouldnt have any affect on the gears turning inside. Unless theres just something odd about the clodbuster gear box. I'm not familiar with that specific kit.

I've been running clodbusters in 1 form or another since like 1989. 1st hard metal gears are loud I run only nylon gear sets...herd of people modifying gear case.gears some would work and others was a replace part the messed with..if you have the skill and tools . use either a micrometer to metal gears compared to old white plastic gears.that will be 1st tell if tolerances werent kept in machining of metal gears.

I have the solution!! Package up the Clodbuster, battery, controller and everything else you have for it and send it to me. You will never again hear that horrible sound. :) (Someone had to do it)

I put metal gears in stockgear box. Loud & if tighten the gear box housing screws the gears turn harder. Will going to the aluminum gear box make any difference ??
Thanks, Huey
I'll just go to a Clodbuster Forum where I should get some decent answers. thanks anyways guys

You said that if you tighten the gearbox that the gears turn harder. That makes me think that there might be a clearance issue of some sort. I haven't been in RC very long BUT I have taken to picking up older RC's and trying to restore them. Is the noise you're hearing more gear meshing or is it more like a rubbing noise? In any event, that fact that the gears are turning harder when the housing is tightened, makes me suspect of a shim/spacer missing/in the wrong place which is allowing the housing to really preload a bearing or allow the housing to possibly make contact with something inside. Have you tried looking up an exploded view of that particular transimission? I can say I have run into issues similar when using aftermarket parts. Are the gears you bought Tamiya brand?

I had this issue bet the screws & Nuts for the axle tube were Uninstaller backwards don't ask me how I know Thankfully I hadn't ran it yet. I just started building mine

Back