T-maxx trx 2.5 getting way too much fuel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxsrcool

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i got this used engine off ebay and i go to start it and it wont start but then i relize that the exhaust pipe is full of fuel so i turn the hsn all the way clockwise and it still wont start pls help

Turn the high needle 4 turns out from closed, the low needle half a turn out from flush, and make sure the idle gap is about 1 mm. Be careful priming the engine or you'll flood it.

when i turn the high needle it starts to get hard to turn so i stoped should i keep turning it or stop like i did

if i was you i would make sure that every thing is clean in the carb and make sure that the engine is sealed. get some denatured alcohol and clean the carb. when i bought my revo used it was a mess so i cleaned it up really good and its been fine since.

Did you seal the engine? If not, do a search on here for sealing a nitro engine. Good videos on youtube also. Fresh fuel and new glow plug is a must as well. If your hsn is hard backing out, grab the housing with a wrench so it doesn't spin. You'll be taking that apart to seal anyways.

ill seal the carb 2marro too if cleaning it dont work

You need to seal the engine before going any farther. A leaky engine will never run right. Get some copper, high-temp, sensor-safe rtv and seal the carb throat, hsn housing, backplate and header. Make sure the exhaust coupler is secure and in good shape. Make sure the head bolts are tight. Make sure you have new fuel lines and a sealed tank, including the cap. As far as applying the rtv, just use a flat tooth pic to apply it lightly to the o-rings. Let the engine sit over night in a dry, warm place before starting it. Do all this stuff and you'll be ready to start it.

USED engine....... that never ends well.

Before you go mindlessly resealing it ( like I did ) do the leak test.

Pull the engine out of the vehicle. Take off the exhaust. Open the HS needle a few turns.

Fill up the kitchen sink with water, hold the engine under water, cover the carb and exhast holes with your fingers, hook a fuel line up to the carb and BLOW into it with your mouth.

Any air bubbles indicate leaks. Mine was a small crack in the engine block, no sealing that. NEW engine time.

USED engine....... that never ends well.

Before you go mindlessly resealing it ( like I did ) do the leak test.

Pull the engine out of the vehicle. Take off the exhaust. Open the HS needle a few turns.

Fill up the kitchen sink with water, hold the engine under water, cover the carb and exhast holes with your fingers, hook a fuel line up to the carb and BLOW into it with your mouth.

Any air bubbles indicate leaks. Mine was a small crack in the engine block, no sealing that. NEW engine time.
I agree!! I only seal them when problems arise. Before going through all that trouble I would check for leaks first. Even if it has a tiny leak in the front bearing I would still try to get it going first. A used 2.5 is probably going to be trouble, I would see if it will run first.

I just bought a brand new 2.5 to put in my truck.... I ran the first tank of fuel in to break in as noted.... Trying to get it started for the second tank and the cylinder keeps filling with fuel.... It's got a brand new tank on it... And it's filling with fuel without me priming it... Any help would be appreciated

I just bought a brand new 2.5 to put in my truck.... I ran the first tank of fuel in to break in as noted.... Trying to get it started for the second tank and the cylinder keeps filling with fuel.... It's got a brand new tank on it... And it's filling with fuel without me priming it... Any help would be appreciated
Welcome to RCT! :welcome_sign:

I would post this question in the nitro forum instead of resurrecting a 12.5 year old thread. More people will probably see it that way. That being said, Id check and make sure your glow plug is working.