t maxx trx 15. to upgraded chassis etc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makka196

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi there, i have the old model traxxas t-maxx trx 15, I've been thinking if i change the chassis to a 3.3 model 30mm longer will all if not most of the parts fit from the trx 15 on the that chassis? i was thinking on doing this because I'm finding it hard to find nice upgrades for the trx on stock chassis e.g. all skid plate, rpm arms etc. all i parts i seem to find is for the trx 2.5 and 3.3

hope someone can help!

thanks alot people!

:thumbup:

The 2.5 is basically the .15 so all those parts are the same ,there is a narrow suspension version and a wide version,you could use the 3.3 chassis with slight mods.

transmited from a mobile communications device

Oh that's good news! Thanks, so if I get the 3.3 chassis and then put all my parts on it and buy the suspension it will work?

Thanks

Yes,it will work with slight mods! Different front center shaft will be needed,and the 3.3 chassis brace,...but if your gunna go through all that and buy suspension you might as well just buy a 3.3 roller and build on that

transmited from a mobile communications device

Ok, I just wanted it to be a 2.5/3.3 because its so much easier to get upgraded parts for it, plus stock parts are also better. Obviously some 2.5/3.3 parts will be needed but of its cheap enough then thats ok. What would you do? Would you just buy a roller or chassis?

I upgraded my t maxx to the extended chassis and I love it. It was a 2.5 wide version before and I was told the trans and diffs wouldn't hold the 3.3 power but that was bs. I did replace the trans with a forward only but the diffs are stock 2.5's and they haven't given me a problem at all. Like HOTRODROB said the center shaft in the front needs to be replaced and the chassis braces but thats about it. I replaced both because the new ones are nicer. You may also want to replace your body since it will be a little short after the conversion. lol

Ok, aha i think ill have a go at it! Thanks a lot for the help!

I have even run the old .15 maxx diffs against a 3.3 they lasted like a summer before they churnobled but heck they went through at least 3 engines before the 3.3 was installed. The black trans with the FOC, and a single speed is tough as any 3.3 stock trans. I run big blocks against mine never has broke yet trans prob has 8 gallons of fuel on it.

Ok thanks for the help! I forgot to say that I bought job lot of t maxx spares and it case with some useful stuff. I have a used chassis with it I was wondering if this is the 3.3 or 2.5 chassis as the 3.3 is what I'm thinking to use unless its the same as the 2.5! Thanks

Last edited:
That would be the old pro.15 4910 chassis (no hole for the throttle bell crank).

The difference in the chassis are:
Pro.15 did not have the throttle bell crank hole and was thinner than the later models.
2.5 and 2.5R chassis was identical to the pro.15 chassis except for the hole for the bell crank and a little thicker.
4910 classic model (2006) no hole for pipe stinger.
3.3 model 4909 same length as previous chassis, no hole for the pipe stinger and thicker.
4908 and 4907 models, Extended chassis, no hole for pipe stinger or reverse servo.

Looks to me to be the pro .15 maxx chassis. I do not see the three small holes used to mount the throttle post, that is used on the 2.5 and the 3.3 maxx truck. ;)

View attachment 12210 The chassis on the left is a 2.5 maxx chassis one on left is a .15 maxx chassis see the small holes where throttle post mounts on the 2.5.

And they produced two diff 3.3 Tmaxx trucks. one had the basic same chassis as the 2.5 and now the new extended 3.3 tmaxx chassis I think model #is 4907. If you want a 2.5 chassis let me know I have like 8 I am not using I could mail you one for free.:D

Last edited:
Thanks for that, your very helpful, if the 2.5 chassis can put the reverse in then yeah I would love to have a chassis of you!! I wanted a chassis that can fit the reverse gearbox( my .15) then build on that!

Thanks

---------- Post added at 6:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:59 PM ----------

Also would the normal 3.3 chassis(4909) for my pro 15 gear box?