t maxx spur gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

351gt-40

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i just stripped off the spur gear on my tmaxx 3.3, what is the best steel gear to go with, I'm not putting on another plastic one this is just the third tank on the break in period?

The plastic ones will actually be a good weak link in you drive train (ie, easy to replace). They should last for quite some time, they just need to be shimmed right. If you still feel you need a steel spur, look into the Robinson Racing double disc slipper clutch.

I don't recommend a steel spur, if you are stripping spurs during break in it sounds as if you do not have the mesh set correctly. If you run a steel spur you will chew up clutchbells too, especially if the mesh is not correct. Then you also run the risk of damaging tranny gears, as .21rc10gt mentioned, using a plastic spur gives you an easy to repair, inexpensive weak link, and with a properly set mesh should last a good while.

Robinson Racing also offers a better plastic spur gear that is tougher than the stock but still a "weak" link. It is offered with its double disk slipper. Just an idea.

Tom

t maxx spur gear

i dont know anything about the stuff you are talking about. i bought it got it out of the box fuel it, and started to break it in when the spur gear stripped on the 4th tank.

The engine mounts probably worked their way loose, or the clutch bell is heating up too much, and melting the teeth in the spur.

his mesh is most likely bad becuz i have had my tmaxx 3.3 for almost a year and havnt had to replace a gear and i bash the hell out of it

When I had my maxx, the only time it shredded a spur was when the mount had worked loose. Check all 8 screws to see if they are still there/tight. If they're all there, check to make sure they're threadlocked down with the blue stuff.

erm,ye the screws would be the first thing to check as it'll kill the spur if they're loose,is it the tops of the teeth that have gone? the standard clutch bells are made of hardened steel but for some reason last about two tanks with rrp hardened steel spurs as i have found out on my 2.5,within two tanks the pinion was almost smooth!!

Back