T MAXX or CEN Colossus or Savage X??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lashbrook23

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello everyone,

So I am looking to purchase a Nitro Truck for my wife this month and so far we have been looking at a few of them. I wanted to get everyones opinon on what they felt would be the better fit. I know that some trucks or a bit easier to get replacement parts than others as well as custom parts. Also that certain trucks may perform better than others as well.

We were debating between really the Traxxas T Maxx and the CEN Colossus Nitro truck, and lastly the HPI Savage X 4.6. Any input from fellow members would be greatly appreciated!

Also if there is another truck out there that you feel is a good option, I am all ears. Open to any price range, and just looking for a Big Monster truck that isnt going to take hours to just find a few replacement parts. The truck is going to just be used for some good back yard use as we have 7 acres of woods as well as a motorcross track.

Thank you all for any input!

Of the those you listed, I'd go with the Savage X. It's as tough as nails out of the box and most hobby shops can get parts for them.

I second the HPI Savage X because it's pretty tough out of the box and they have a two year warranty. They're also pretty much stocked at every hobby shop if you need a part.

Savage x or the tmaxx depending on what you want to upgrade

I love the TMaxx. Maybe sentimental as it was my first Traxxas nitro. I had a couple of them back in the day.

But they need some parts right off before you even start it up the first time. I would only go TMaxx If I bought a full compliment of RPM parts to go with it. Possible even replace the factory parts first rather than having to break something on the first couple of tanks....well that is if it gets rolled or hit something solid with a wheel.

TMaxx a-arms, bulkheads, shock towers and body mounts are all brittle and break way too easy. Replace all those with RPM and you have a great truck that IMHO looks the most authentic MT.

But you want tough out of the box, go Savage. Nuff said, simple as that.

I have a friend who has 3 Savages. His room mate has 2 and they beat the ever living snot out of them. They rarely break them. They wear them out from use and fun abuse. The 4.6 do loves its fuel, so stock up.

Both the TMaxx and Savage's both can be broken and both will need fixed. Both OE parts and aftermarket are usually easily found in even the smallest mom'n'pop LHS and sky's the limit online.

The Cen? meh. Looks cool. But not well supported by most LHS. A-Main is the only big box online source for parts and they appear to be very limited...so few parts in fact in their online inventory, that I would venture a guess they are getting away from the line. I have no hands on experience, but from what I've read they are fairly tough, but do have breakable diff's and parts availability is so-so.

The only thing thirstier than the HPI 4.6 is the 5.9 in the Savage XL. The 4.6 is the better engine iMO.

Back