T maxx mad with cold weather

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddierc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
How do run your Traxxas T-Maxx in the cold with snow I just want to I know.

Be sure that all your electronics are waterproof. I don't run in the snow or freezing temps. Plastic likes to snap in the cold. Anyways, I have seen ppl wrap the head with tinfoil to keep the temps up. Also Amy want to try running a body without cutouts for the engine to help with that. Be sure to check your engine temps a LOT while you're starting out. Keep in mind that the heat from the engine taking cold splashes of snow and cold water could end up doing damage. That's just a thought, as I said, I don't do what you're attempting. Good luck! Def post back about what you end up doing and what your results are!

I live in Nort Deekoter. i have run my savage at -20
running in cold temps is very hard on engine components, if you do not get to a somewhat decent operating temp, your just wearing out your motor. tuning is much harder to achieve in cold temps
BUT, it can be done: they seem to run better with really cold air, like any other combustion engine if you can find a decent tune
I have one specific motor i run in cold weather and one only. I wrap as much of the motor as i can with a rag sometimes 2 if the temps below zero, i dont concentrate so much on the block as there are sealed roller bearing on the crank, I do try to wrap that as good as i possibly can, though without getting cought in moving parts .but keeping the heat around the compustion chamber/sleeve and piston is imperative sometimes i even zippy-tie the rag to motor.
my work shed is 60 degrees when i am in it, so i start engine and get it close to operating temp on the bench , then outside we go.

snow really isnt that fun unless its top is good hardpack, if not the truck just breaks through the top crust gets stuck and i have to stomp through the snowbank to retrieve my stuck truck.handling and traction sux on ice
snow gets everywhere, is hard to get completely blown out, and rusts moving parts badly. it will pack in around the rag-wrapped motor, inside wheels, and in where steering apparatus and serevo are. after you get the snow blown out there are bearings,axles, and axle cups that will need attention as well as the bearing on the front of the engine block

Last edited: