T-Maxx has been sitting, need some help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pappasdesigns

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
When I was younger my parents got me a T-Maxx, loved the thing and played with it all the time. Got older, went off to college and it sat around. About a year ago I spent a good amount of money getting it back running again and such. Then school came again. So it's been sitting for about a year maybe longer, with I hate to say it but fuel left in it. I leave again for school in about a week or so but I would like to get it running correctly and have it in good condition for it to sit another year.

I'm assuming I have to replace the fuel lines, glow plugs and such. But I'm not really good with all this hobby stuff and am not really knowledgeable about RC cars.

What all should I be replacing, checking to get this baby running and in good order again? Would I need a new fuel tank in general? Also, what is the proper way to clean or set my T-Maxx up to sit for about a year?

I have a pretty big hobby shop close by that helped me get it running the first time, but since I love forums and they are always so helpful, I decided to turn to here and try and work on it myself.

It's the 2.5 Engine too, btw.

Thanks in advance guys!
Matt

Last edited:
Flush the engine with WD40.

Replace the glow plug.

Probably dont need to replace the fuel line, but wont hurt - and it's cheap - so go ahead.

Go back to base settings on the carb and fire her up.

Take it easy to start with - give the fuel a bit of a chance to lube up the engine - then work on a tune.

So long as you do not have rust in the engine, it should be fine.

When you want to put it away again - remove the fuel from the tank and lines - run it dry - then squirt WD40 down the carb and down into the head - if you wanted, a bit of light machine in the engine help preserve while you are away.

follow what he said but from the sound of it you prob did not mess with the carb adjustments last time it was running so I would first see how it turns over try and start .if it feels gummed up then clean with wd40 new glow plug shouldn't need a tank .after it is running ,run a tank or 2 through it compleately empty 2nd tank. then remove glow plug add a few drops of wd40 more won't hurt turn motor over a couple of times to get everything covered in the wd40 put the glow plug back in remove air filter open carb all the way wd40 in there close carb put clean airfilter on .and turn over again couple of times .and have extra glow plug ready for when you want to run .if you can redo the process every few months just to make sure it stays well lubed.when you are ready to run it take out plug and try to start helps blow out some of the wd .refule put in the old plug and try strating the old plug will prob foul out put in new plug and have fun
I have had mine start up after longer then a year with fuel in it . but is a big no no .

Thank you for the feedback and helpful info dudes. Will probably be doing that in the next few days or so. I hope I can make time to work on this thing. Let's say I can't, and it sits another year, would I been doing more damage to it?

I hope I can make time to work on this thing. Let's say I can't, and it sits another year, would I been doing more damage to it?

:whhooo:

Well it wont do it much good :\ . . .

At least flush the fuel out and put some WD through it - then it wont get any worse.

WD 40 ....liike i said I have a couple of motors that i got in a collection that sat for at 4-5 yrs, not rusted but are very gumed up .one i could not even turn with the head off .

SO ya ,if you do nothing it WILL cost more and be a real pain in the aaaaa but .WD40WD40WD40WD40WD40WD40WD40WD40WD40WD40WD40

Did you get the message..lol

after the WD-40. lube the intake with marvel mystery oil, and turn the crank over by hand. and 3-4 drops in the glow plug hole. WD-40 is great, but i like a little thicker oil.

So you really aren't interested in running it again? I will just give you some money for school and SAVE a nitro. A nitro is like getting a puppy, cool and fun at first but once the newness wears off and it needs tuning or maintenance the poor nitro is......forgotten! This is why Nitro's get a bad rap, not many will take the time to maintain. Most don't think you have to work on them (ask my son). Think about how hard that little engine ran for you...can't you can give it 35-45 minutes of your time to ensure that poor nitro will be ready when you get home from school. I can.

(That could be a commercial for the protection and rescue of neglected Nitro's everywhere. Have you saved a nitro today?) priceless.
View attachment 11510 love your nitro.

Last edited: