T maxx gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deceev

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I'm in the market for some new tires for my Tmaxx 3.3. My question is....Since i dont care too much about top end power, or speed, what changes to my gearing (spur gear,clutch bell gear) should I use in order to help compensate for the Big Joes proline tires i want to use? I mainly want to use this for tearing up the back yard climbing the rocks and hills, maybe some minor jumps... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Go down in tooth count on clutch bell and/or up on teeth with spur for lower end gearing for the bigger tires. In other words if you running the stock 22 tooth bell, go with a 20 tooth instead. If your running a 56 tooth spur gear, go up to a 58 tooth. The two teeth on bell will make a more noticeable difference than the spur gear will.

Go down in tooth count on clutch bell and/or up on teeth with spur for lower end gearing for the bigger tires. In other words if you running the stock 22 tooth bell, go with a 20 tooth instead. If your running a 56 tooth spur gear, go up to a 58 tooth. The two teeth on bell will make a more noticeable difference than the spur gear will.

I'm currently running the 58 tooth spur gear, so should i just swap the clutch bell which is currently the 22 tooth for a 20 tooth one, correct? Now what if i were to go with a 24 tooth clutch bell? would i get the opposite result and improve on the top end?

Yes a 24 would do opposite and give you more top end. Keep in mind if your running a really big tire and a 3.3 small block a 24 tooth may cause over heating issues. Also cause it to be slower off the start and really put the slipper and engine clutches to slip more. So with bigger tires your best bet would be to go with a 20 tooth. You can try the 24 and see how it does and have a 20 tooth on hand if its too much.

thanks Zdragon71, i apreciate your help. Unfortunaltey my LHS didnt have any 20 tooth clutch bell gears so i may have to hunt one down over the internet. I'll leave the stock gears in for now...dont want to do any extra work, anymore than i have to! Ill make adjustments as soon as i get the new tires on it...thanks again for your input!

Update: Got the proline big joe tires and wheels installed, kept the stock spur gear but went with a 20 tooth clutch bell for added torque.I think the pic speaks for itself! I didn't notice any negative effects to the truck, I did notice it handled the rocky terrain better as well as helped the center of gravity. Thanks to Zdragon71 for the help!

IMG_2871.jpg