T-maxx for beginner?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nastyrider17

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everybody I have been wanting to get an RC lately and was wondering what you guys think of the t-maxx 2.5. I have a little bit of experience driving and working on these things because one of my friends has a savage X. If I do end up getting this is there anything I need to do to it before I drive it? What is the best way to break this in? And what should I look out for to go wrong? Thanks.

If you've ran a,nitro, then you already got a good start. If you buy a new Tmaxx, it comes with a Manuel. Read that up real good and check these forums. These guys on here really know what they are talking about. I'm glad I joined. I've got a lot of info so far. Follow the correct break-in procedure as instructed in the Manuel. That should get ya started. Good luck.

Depends on what youll be doing with it. The tmaxx is mainly a basher for jumps,parked cars, and whatever else gets in the way. If your looking to having fun in your yard and also going to the local rc track to race, look at the traxxas slash.. You can have fun with them light jumping, good racing, overall good choice for beginner.

The tmaxx is good. Its take alot of patience and time, but most hobbys do. Youll need to constantly get parts if you're gonna be bashing because the tmaxx will break.

Look into electric before you go nitro.... might be something you'll like. The nitro seems cool for most beginners then becomes a headache for people who can't fix them or tune. Electric has its drawbacks too but is more RTR so to say, more beginner friendly.

Check out the revo!... they can go for cheap on ebay, but be careful with what you're buying. Best to get new one or build it from a roller. I here the revo is 100x tougher than tmaxx and handles a bit better.

All I would be doing is bashing around in my yard and parking lots and stuff, not racing.

I'm not worried about stuff breaking because I'm a pretty good mechanic. I'm also not a big fan of electric RC's.

The revo looks nice but a little out of my price range, and I wouldn't trust buying something that expensive off ebay.

Usually, if you're lucky, your lhs may have a nice used truck/car for sale. A few years ago I bought a new associated rc10t3 electric stadium truck for right around 300 bux. It came as a kit and I built it. That was fun. A friend of mine just bought a used Tmaxx 3.3 for 300 bux. 2 weeks ago. So that goes to show ya the prices and the differences. Whatever you buy, I'm sure you'll love it. Especially if you like to tinker. I take my Tmaxx apart almost everyday.

There's a steep learning curve to nitro, but it's worth it. They're fun. But after 20 years in the hobby, I prefer electric hands down. Faster vehicles, less maintenance and cheaper in the long run.

I agree with matt. Your buddy has a savage, get an e-revo BL and spank him every time.

I just bought a T-maxx 3.3 new about 2 and a half weeks ago and I've already dropped a good chunk of change on parts for it. Upon break-in, I had to buy a new slipper clutch. Then, went through 3 glow plugs in the matter of 2 days trying to tune it. After I got it running well, I was bashing with a friend and snapped an A-arm. The day of getting that fixed, I snapped the rear bulkheads, skid plate, and turnbuckle.

I'm not in any way mad about it, it is a bit expensive, but I'm a tinkerer and love messing with it. If you're looking for an easy way in with little maintenance, go electric. Much more simple.

That's just my opinion. Hopefully this will help somewhat with what you're looking for in a nitro.

Adam

If you can learn to tune Nitro its the best way to go in my opinion! W/ elsctric you have a lot of down time charging batts. Unless you can afford to buy extra batts. Nitro!just gas & go!!As far as buying on ebay just make sure they have 98% + feedback & get a paypal account for buyer protection! I buy everything but fuel on ebay never had a single problem! Check craigslist also i found a tmaxx a guy took apart & couldnt put back together for $40. Runs perfect! Good luck & happy bashing!!!!!!!!!

Okay I see a lot of guys on here tyring to steer you towards the electrics. In my opinion, and everybody has one, to me electrics are for the lazy person. This is a hobby hence forth wrenching is just part of it. I had the same thoughts when i got into it electrics are so much simpler to operate, you dont have to break em in, you dont have to tune em, blah blah blah, I bought an E-Maxx had it for two weeks ran it everyday and will honestly say it is a bada$$ truck. However with that said, I gave to my stepson and bought a T-Maxx. Haven't regreted it one bit!
Just yesterday I bought a used Savage X 4.6 and plan on getting a revo in the near future. Look there is good and bad in both sides I just found out I'd rather hear the scream and smell the fumes knowing that every little tweek I make has an effect on how my truck performs. It all depends on how hands on you want to be with how your truck performs. If you prefer plug and play go electric but if you are a true gearhead and love an internal combustion engine then Nitro all the way baby!!

Back