t maxx classic with 2.5 upgrade help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEnItRo1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys, just got my trx 2.5r and was goin to get the upgrade kit but wanted to know if there was an easier way to make the 2.5 work, without spending ny money, like a homemade way.
any help would be greatly appriecated.

I have to agree with Racer...you gotta have the parts to do it and you can't really make them. That is why I was saying to find another side exhaust engine like an OS .18 cvr

just buy the kit it is wroth it just make sure you do it right and you will have tons of fun
just like a new truck .but when i did it i did the F.O.C it realy does make yor tranny last longer and is realy easy to do .only draw back is no reverse, just make sure you don't run into something you can't go over so thet you won't be running to turn it around

just get a big block kit and go big block!!!! or the upgrade kit and a 3.3 you will love it!!!

thats what i finaly went to was 3.3 huge difference but i bent my chassi full thortel and tire of honda = f___ ed . but have 2 more just haven't done anything with them yet

i waas goin to get the 3.3, but i was told it should tear my truck apart, nd i dont have the money for that, lol

which model do you have?? I have a classic maxx that came with a 2.5 and insane power and speed!!!! I love that thing.. next stepp is big block on that one aswell..

i believe that the tmax that came with 2.5 motor was a slide carb and that hpi i motor looks like a barrel carb would still have to chane the linkage set up or put diffeerent carb on it

Yup I beleive you are right about the carb situation I will go check my rs4 that has a 3.0 engine on it and verdict is those hpi engines have rotory carbs the big block hpi's have slide carbs... the 4.9 does..

He has the original .15 pro which was the rotary style carb with side exhaust. That is the reason I showed him ones that are minimum work to put in since he did not want to go the 2.5 conversion route maybe due to cost?

ThEnItRo1: depends on what u mean by tear the truck apart .i had ( i do mean had to)to upgrade all axel's and shafts to the revo reason is the power from the 3.3 just kills them twists them like pretzels .and also put the wide max kit on it so it would'nt roll as easy makes it about 1" maybe 1.5" widerand sits lower so it helps a lot.

mtaylortank, i have the classic. and yes revofreak i was told i would lose all my drive shafts, nd then tires. so i had like no money after doin the trade in for the 2.5, the .15 carb slide toward the front, so yes i would have to do some mods to get the 2.5 (slides out) to work, i wantd to save some money by doin it my self, (the converion) but the guy at my LHS told me ide have to buy the conversion kit, (damn guy got some money that i didnt want to give him, lol)

---------- Post added at 4:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:00 PM ----------

i posted this thread cause i also want to see if ny1 had done the conversion kit by themself, like homemade, nd to see if it was easy.

nope ,thought about it then smacked myself back into reality and got the conversion kit.
half hr to maybe hr and thats with getting the linkage right. takes a little time but you will be very happy
make sure you do the FOC conversion cause you will be doin it pretty soon anyway. it is cheap like 12-15 dollars

ah ha.. might not of read it right thought it started with the 2.5 .. that makes alot more sence now l.o.l. you should be fine on the running gear but ofcourse with more power and playing hard you will break a few till you realize what you can and can't do with the rig.. I have the classic that came with the 2.5 and have a 3.3 on it and have it 2wd and the shafts last a good little while considering it is only rwd... good luck and hope you get to running it soon!!! I used to ask about homemade things too till I figured on most parts its easier to buy new parts that are made for that..

Back