T maxx 2.5 running problem?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave20r84

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My t maxx starts up and runs good for 5minutes or so then it will just die? It will not fire up straight away after its cut out ill hav to leave it afew minutes be4 itll start up again? Any ideas help plz

Sounds like your sleeve and piston are worn out. When it heats up it loses compression and stalls. Then after it cools back down it will fire up and repeat the process.

I know. Had the same issue with my first 2.5R revo. Just went to ebay and bought a brand new 2.5R for $104.99 shipped. Or you could spend about $50 on a sleeve and piston then another $20 on new bearings and rebuild it.

Get you a new 3.3 off of ebay for about $90 and you will be good to go with way more power than that 2.5 ever had.

Ye. Thats wat I'm just looking at a 3.3

I had the same problem once and I agree sounds like the engine is worn out or got a little dirt on the inside than scratched the piston and sleeve. The TRX 3.3 is the way to go. I have one in my Revo and it is a great engine for the price.

If you stick the 3.3 in it your gonna want to start upgrading the driveline as well. I would go ahead with rpm a arms and 3.3 drive axles and hub carriers. Also get the diff cups and dogbones for the driveshafts. The 3.3 has much more torque than the 2.5R and will eventually start tearing these parts up. But until it breaks run the hell out of it and have fun!

Does the picco26 fix straight onto the tmaxx chassis then?

it does but your gonna need to do some upgrades to the driveline and get a decient muffler to let it breath properly
\if it were me i'd either replace the 2.5 or upgrade to the 3.3, imho the picco will overpower the 2.5 chassis and you'll end spending heaps to keep it running

3.3 is the way forward then

I think so and it fairly cheap and has a good deal more power than the 2.5
You may want to pick up a resonator pipe and dual stage air filter from a later model maxx and that should really wake her up and pop some wheelies :)

How much fuel have you run in it? it could also be on the other end of the scale and over heating if its running to lean.

The truck in second hand, i put the hsn 4 turns out wen i got it on friday I've leaned iy off slighty and the to be honest the truck runs great it use's about half a tank the just dies, then i hav to leave it abit be4 itll fire up again, theres been acouple of times where it has fired straight up after cuttin out, had about 2-3 tanks use out of it so far

Last edited:
Thanks ill try all the cheap things first see if it makes any diffrence be4 i go and spend money on a new engine, forgot to add which wud be best sort of glow plug? Long or short?

Last edited:
Long medium plugs. Traxxas 3232X or OS #8 or dynamite platinum #4. Just make sure to use long plugs whichever brand you get.

Like they sAid return it back to stock. Look in the manual as it also tells u to give it a little adjustment if you are in a cold climate. Took mine out today adjusted for the cold and ran like a dream on e I got the idle adjusted properly.

Striped engine 2night took piston ans sleeve out, once out i pushed the piston up into the sleeve and i can push it rite to the top so its flush wiv the top of the sleeve so guessin its time for new engine

Got my 3.3 in 2night runs great just need to sort the idle out and get myself a wheelie bar!!!

Glad you bought a new engine

Last edited: