T-maxx 2.3 to 3.3 full conversion please help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EntityRC

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I know there are many topics on this already but none answer my questions.
I have a full 2.5 model with all the black housing trans, box's, exc...
I currently bought the axle carriers with the revo style bearings, upgraded to 3.3 size CVD axles, and now i am just waiting on the trans and motor.

I purchased a 4908 trans off ebay not knowing this is for the extended version. i can't find the 4909 trans anywhere. I heard the 4908 does not work correctly because of the 6mm shaft or something along those lines.

I am running the Vantage Carbon chassis which is for the 3.3 or 2.5 so theres no problem there i just want the trans to work out. I already have metal CVDs for the center from the 2.5 so will these not work now with the 4908?

any help would be great, no I'm not buying a whole 3.3 i have too many aftermarket parts i want to use to build the 3.3 and all I'm missing is the trans and motor i believe. help in finding the right trans would be great or letting me know if this one will work.

And as for the front and rear diff's can i keep my stock 2.5 ones with Integy aluminum housing? i thought the housing alone was changed but may be wrong. i dont want to ever have to replace anything so i want what a true conversion should have

Thanks
Joe EntityRC

Last edited:
The 2.5 trans holds up fine with a forward only conversion. You could save some money by sending the 4908 tranny back and installing the $10 conversion. Then you can use 4908 rear centers on both the front and back. I've heard of one of the traxxas trannys having a bigger output shaft than the others, but I don't know which one specifically. I bolted 4908 traxxas center shafts right on my original E Maxx with no problems.

I already have the 2.5 trans with the Forward only mod. I'm really looking to add all the true 3.3 parts to this maxx and get rid of everything 2.5. basicly i want a drop in trans which i think is the 4909 that i can just add my metal CVD drives to from the stock 2.5 trans. i can't seem to find this trans all ebay has is the 4908
being that i can't find the 4909 trans would the revo trans fit? i don't want optidrive just straight forward

Last edited:
I'm trying to identify mine ? I'm confused on whats what? I got mine used and he said it has the 3.3 chassi ? i have the manual for a 4910?
it has the gray bulks,front rear and center bottom skids in gray plastic the lower chassi brace is black w/maxx on sides. does any body have specs on the 3.3 chassi so I can do some measuring or something? just confused on all the model numbers........ thanks

Hey man I'm guessing you just have the 4909 since you have all the grey and the 3.3 that makes sense he must have just thrown in an old book since i think i have the 4910 and its a 2.5 all black parts. the 4909 would not have the extended chassis so if your chassis looks normal and not with a little extension on each end your prob sporting the 4909

Back to my problem can anyone tell me if the 4908 trans will work in my 2.5 to 3.3 conversion or if i really need the 4909 trans. traxxas says they are way diff. one is the revo spec trans and the 4908 is a hybrid tmaxx and revo trans.

I'm trying to identify mine ? I'm confused on whats what? I got mine used and he said it has the 3.3 chassi ? i have the manual for a 4910?
it has the gray bulks,front rear and center bottom skids in gray plastic the lower chassi brace is black w/maxx on sides. does any body have specs on the 3.3 chassi so I can do some measuring or something? just confused on all the model numbers........ thanks

The 4910 has grey stuff. it's way more likely to be a 4910 with a 3.3 dropped in. Not so likely to be a 4909 that someone went and got the wrong manual for. Does it have chevron tires or revo tires? That's a way to tell also.

I looked on traxxas.com, it says that the 2.5R (4902) and 3.3 short chassis (4909) have the revo spec driveline. The 4910 does not.

that sounds about right. prob the 4910 if forgot they had a 2.5 with grey parts.
so does this mean the trans from the 4910 is the same as the 4909???

i got my gray trans to work with a .15 tmaxx half shaft but said screw it and ordered the extended chassis 4908 for 7.99 brand new off ebay. then since i converted my .15 i should have just bought a new 3.3 seeing how not one part is original.

Sorry didn't mean to thread jack I'll start a new one

The 4908 is only extended in the front. The back is the same as the old chassis. Wasn't the 4910 the original Maxx? 4909 first update. 4908 the newest?

well i have the first 2.5 i think dunno the real model number i just know i have the 4908 chassis now and i need to figure out how to make it work in my 2.5 conversion

i put a 4908 trans in my 2.5. i know for a fact you wont be able to use your cvds they will be too long for the front the back might fit not sure though. i used the stock front driveshaft and cut it down then put pins in the end like the 4908 shaft

Thanks i figured that. well my best bet is to figure out if you can switch some shafts to make this tranny the same as the 4909. i dont want to use stock shafts and deff dont want to do cutting i want to use my CVD's. traxxas said they are both different the 4908 is a hybrid and the 4909 is the revo-spec tranny

ok so i think i answered my own question in order to make a 4908 tranny fit a 2.5 maxx or the short chassis maxx you need the shaft from traxxas part 5195

Thanks for posting everyone. Now I am also going to do the 3.3 swap. If it is as good as you guys say it is I am going to have lots of fun. I am going with foc because I don't need reverse and I can loose the 3rd channel servo. But one question how much will it cost for the axeles and cvd and driveline and engine