Swapping engine on Revo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caguilar4

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi all,

I have been looking at changing the engine in my Revo mainly because my 3.3 is fairly worn out. I was thinking in getting something a little bit bigger with a little more punch to it, and maybe even more reliable than the stocker. I was thinking on the OS .21TM engine, but I am a little worried that it has a 3-needle carb as opposed to the oem 2-needle carb.

I've never tuned a 3-needle carb and don't know if its gonna be tougher on me? Let me know what you guys think, experienced or heard about it.

Thanks!

dont they all have 3 needles?

u could go with the picco 26 jl red dot if you can find one, you just need to get a new era mount for it

or the motor that is usually in stock the LRP range. i have the lrp z28 in my revo, you will need new mount, exhaust, clutch for this setup. worth it tho. the motor is a lot better than the stock 3.3
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98823

i just swapped in a picco .26 maxx. it dropped right in with a picco engine mount. exhaust is the same and clutchbell are the same.

Has anyone ever upgraded to an OS 30? I found a new on in the box for $200. Wondering IF it will even fit and how extensive the mods will be.

I have the Picco .26 maxx and the jl red dot. Both are excellent and drop right in. Really wakes the revo up

the new era BB mount kit should do the job... they support motors up to .32 from memory

not all engines have three needles, however the o.s does. Don't let this worry you because you treat it pretty much as a regular engine you don't make any adjustments to the midrange, and if you do they are very small.

not all engines have three needles, however the o.s does. Don't let this worry you because you treat it pretty much as a regular engine you don't make any adjustments to the midrange, and if you do they are very small.

Thanks! This was the answer I was hoping for!

Awesome motor! I love mine. But I feel the 3.3 is more durable. They offer a os 28 w/Revo manifold...food for thought!

I'm gonna give you my 2cents, its way cheaper and i have had alot better luck with mine. I've ran 3 different o.s engines, and all have lasted 10 plus gallons. My all time fav. for the revo would have to be the o.s18tz. Way more power than a 3.3, less weight than the .21 which aids in not bending the chassis. And so many steps ahead of the 3.3 when it comes to tuning. This little buger runs around 210 in pretty much any weather and very seldom do i have to make any adjustments if i do they are so tiny on the high side. I have a few vids on the tube, revodriver18 is the channel, thos are vids of the tz running to give you and idea of what its like

I'm gonna give you my 2cents, its way cheaper and i have had alot better luck with mine. I've ran 3 different o.s engines, and all have lasted 10 plus gallons. My all time fav. for the revo would have to be the o.s18tz. Way more power than a 3.3, less weight than the .21 which aids in not bending the chassis. And so many steps ahead of the 3.3 when it comes to tuning. This little buger runs around 210 in pretty much any weather and very seldom do i have to make any adjustments if i do they are so tiny on the high side. I have a few vids on the tube, revodriver18 is the channel, thos are vids of the tz running to give you and idea of what its like

does the o.s18tz have enough power to pick the front wheels off the ground when you punch it i am looking to do an engine swap would like to do some wheelies the 2.5 just does not have the snap to do it

pick em up? It will pull the front when shifting to second if you are on a little ruff terrian. You can pull the front wheels at any given time you want in first when traction isnt an issue

Trust me I love the os as well, but a fine tuned Revo suspension with a 3.3 will do the same thing. Lift the tires going into second, lift and carry a front tire out of a turn, etc. I have a 3.3 that has been run into a pond, 10 plus gal of fuel and never had a piston or sleeve. I agree the os produces a lot more punch, and it depends on what your doing..racing etc. my race truck I want the power to the ground, wheelies don't win races but look awesome! I run both and it you want to make a statement...os is great! And they run cooler and keep a tune if weather is consistent . Good luck...good advice Twisted!