Suggestion on a new hump pack

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvaughn7

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I have read many things that have suggested going with a hump pack over the regular AA batteries it comes with stock. I wasn't going to do this upgrade yet, but I was looking over my truck today and the wires have been cut on my regular pack and figured this is a good time to upgrade. I have found a few packs that I like, but want to make sure I get something that is good. I do want something I can charge without taking it off of the truck. Here is my first choice at the moment. http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10189.16

I don't know if this is any good or not, but I figured with it being a direct plug and play setup it was worth a shot. It also seemed like a decent price considering it comes with a battery charger and status indicator. If you have any other packs you recommend please let me know because I am not set on this battery pack.

I have the duratrax 1600mah hump with a "Y" connector that connects to the battery. One end goes to the receiver and one end hangs free for me to plug it in for charging. I then have an adapter that I plug the "free" end into and the other end of the adapter into the charger lead. The battery is sitting in the stock battery box and i still use the On/Off switch with it. Works great, and best part of it all is that I dont have to take it out of the truck for charging.

I hope that doesn't sound to confusing, but it does work good.

OK thanks for the help. I have looked a little more and believe a regular hump pack will work fine, and also be about $20 cheaper. About how long will a 1600mah hump pack last before needing recharged?

I run mine for about 2 hours before charging it up again, but it does still have a bit left in it before I go to charge. Alot of the time, I just charge it before I go out (20-30 minutes), and that way I've got full power every time. The main reason for me going to the hump pack was for the extra voltage that is supplied to the servos and definately to get rid of those damn AA's!!

I think I ended up spending around $30 by the time all the smoke cleared from buying the charging adapter, on/off switch, Y connector and hump pack. I like the look of stock and I like the fact that I can use the stock battery box.

Ok well I am never out more than an hour or so at a time so I think I will be good. I have found a 1600mah that comes with a charger for $22.95 shipped to my door. Thanks for your help with everything.

I have that battery pack from only battery.They said you can run a gallon of fuel on a full charge,i dont know aboult that.but i know it last a long time.And its nice to have the led charge meter

That might be true, but I wouldn't risk it. The weaker your battery, the more chance you have for losing signal and having a run away....unless of course you have a failsafe. Also, with a weak rx battery, your servos can be pretty weak.

That wall wart charger will do the job but will take forever to charge your battery. May want to look into an inexpensive AC/DC charger.

Like theAnt posted i also run a hump pack that fits in the battery box and am using a "y" connector. When the switch is on the "free" end is taken out of the circuit, aka no voltage present. The advatage to this is that I sealed by battery box with silicone essentially making it water/dust resistant. One less worry. Also i packed my hump pack in foam so that it does not bounce around in the battery box. Good luck. ;)