STRIPPING spur gear when revo shifts to 2nd

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brygod69

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I replaced my 3.3 with a new motor, got it broke in and it does great til it shifts to 2nd gear then instantly strips the spur gear! any suggestions would be great?

check your gear mesh make sure it's not to tight

I have done that 4 times and lock tighted everything, I have stripped 4 gears now and it is always right when it shifts, thought about maybe making it shift earlier?

Again, check your mesh and make sure that the bolts are using either lock nuts or Blue LocTite.

post a pic of it so we can see

Are you using a hardened clutchbell? If so, then you'll need to use a hardened spur as well.

It is just the stock ones. plastic spur and metal clutch bell

According to your explanation, it instantly strips the spur when it shifts to second.
If that's the case, it's something INSIDE the transmission that locks up while everything is spinning at a high RPM.

It also sounds like it NEVER gets into second because the spur strips instantly. Is that right?

Does it strip a short span of the spur or does it strip all the teeth off it?

yes, pretty much...you can hear it shift then strip. It flattens teeth all around the gear, I took tranny apart but didn't see anything wrong but I don't know much about them. Is it easier to rebuild one or just buy new?

I agree with Rolex... something in the transmission is at play here. However if the spur is stripping all the way around its hard to say the trans is locking up completely. Could something in the trans throw the mesh out of wack when it shifts into second?

Your title and your problem don't quite match, so I'm going to change the thread title to STRIPPING instead of SLIPPING, and hopefully give it more attention.

It’s possible but… If you haven’t stripped any internal gears its doubtful the tranny is locking up and causing the issue.

Look for a broken/cracked engine mount or even a loose transmission that’s allowing the mesh to move when the shift occurs.

When a tranny locks up at the shift point it usually causes an instant front endo and major gear damage on the inside.

If you disconnect the front/rear center shafts you can test the transmission by blowing compressed air on the spur. You will be able to feel and hear it shift.
If it locks up at the shift, you know it’s internal; if not, look elsewhere.

Also check your chasis and make sure it is straight.

Thanks for all of your help, I ordered some new spur gears since we don't have a Hobby store in my town. Hopefully have them by the weekend

Back