Straightforward brushless onroad - HSP's "Flying Fish"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudordewolf

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've gotten into a cycle of accumulating enough extra parts from upgrades to build an entire extra R/C, which then begins generating extra parts itself as I inevitably upgrade it.

So, my stab at a brushless onroad-

I went with a 48T spur & 21T pinion, just about the largest one that'll fit within the motor mounts & gear enclosure. It's a 4300kv motor, and I intend to run it on a 7-cell nimh for now, saving lipos as an upgrade down the line. Metal diff cases for stiffness & crown gear mesh on the differential, I find they shim up more consistently and also like the look. It's been rainy, I'll speed test it some nice day. I'm hoping for roughly 40mph on 8.4V, theoretically 60 would be possible with 3S.

1675222622027.jpeg

With enclosure:

1675222743641.jpeg

Nice pristine chassis:

1675222839488.jpeg

The whole thing with a 7-cell nimh:

1675222858865.jpeg

Already planning on replacing the cheapest-of-the-cheap "GoolRC" ESC with a Hobbywing 60A, but for a $25 motor&esc combo I can't complain. I had to see what they were like. Just not enough punch for me. I ordered its programming card to see if I can coax any more performance out of it, but so far the Hobbywing I used in a different build has it beat in every regard.

And one final detail, I had to dremel out the top brace just a bit to accommodate the heat sink:

1675222912511.jpeg

Nice build! What's the part number for that spur? I'd like to use something other than 48p for my gears.

Nice build! What's the part number for that spur? I'd like to use something other than 48p for my gears.
Thanks!

It's HSP #11188, 48T mod 0.8 spur gear

Last edited: