stock shock oil leakage from body

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipperfish

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey is there suposed to be small holes where shock oil can leak out of the stock shock bodies? I'm in the process of refilling my shocks now and after I seal them and push the shaft to watch for re-coil, I notice that oil is leaking out from a small hole. I believe the hole is from where the plastic mold was removed from when it was made.

There should be no holes in the shockbody. You should get it replaced if you want a balanced car.

Simply stated, leakage bad. Also is a weak point for a potential breakage, also bad.

Bad..... shouldn't have any leaks. I had the same problem. Thought it was normal until I saw the kit hanging on the shelf at the LHS. When you seperate the shocks to put them together, that's like the weakest part, unless you take a knife and seperate it smooth.. Like a plastic model kit. I used to just bend it back and forth and it came out, but that's a no no.... I just ended up sealing it off with some epoxy until I can afford the aluminum shocks.

I sealed them up with some super glue. I'll monitor them after the next few runs and replace as needed. Thanks for the feedback.

Glue wont do it

Its hard to stick glue to oil, no matter how clean you get it.
Get a new set for 10 bucks at your LHS and use an exacto knife
to cut the burrs off the tree.

OK here is the deal Call HPI and tell them that you have a small whole from where you think the platic tree came off of it. They will tell you to send the shock to them. They had a recall on shocks like yours. but i can't find any info on it. The good part is they will replace your shock they bad part is you will have to wait 2 weeks to get it back
Doug

Back