Stock rtr racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EJMOPAR70

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
So a group of five of use are thinking of buying either Traxxas Bandit, Rustler, or Slash. We want to keep it brushed. Just for cost. Bearing upgrades are a must. There is an abandoned lot asphalt , girt and gravel. We will just use cones and make shift jumps. I have a plywood ramp.

What do you guys think would be the best to use? The Bandit, Slash or Rustler ? For upgrades and racing. Thanks

All of those cars listed are good and technically the same car since they share the same parts. I recommend the slash just because you might be able to use it in a spec slash race at a nearby track or in a 2wd SCT class. But the rustler and bandit are good cars too. The slash already has bearings and hex hardware. But the rustler/bandit has bushings and Phillips hardware. Some other differences are that the rustler/bandit has fixed camber links and with the slash, they are adjustable links i am pretty sure.
If you want more durability I would recommend the Arrma 4x2 or 4x4 boost 1/10 cars.

All three cars listed are for different types of conditions to me. I have never owned a Rustler, but based on it looking kinda like a Jato, I can't imagine it's a good truck for much more than bashing, and mostly in a straight line. The Bandit would be fun on a small track with lots of shallow, long jumps. The Slash to me would be the best all-terrain type RC of all of them. It would be fun on flat paved tracks, or dirt tracks with twists, turns, and jumps. So I would say go for the Slash.

Bandit has small tires with no cushion, shorter arms and smaller shocks, that's a recipe for broken parts given the distance of the jump. The Slash has issues breaking at the rear screw holes above the transmission.

Of the choices listed, I'd go Rustler. The Stampede would be a better choice due to big cushion tires and ground clearance.

So a group of five of use are thinking of buying either Traxxas Bandit, Rustler, or Slash. We want to keep it brushed. Just for cost. Bearing upgrades are a must. There is an abandoned lot asphalt , girt and gravel. We will just use cones and make shift jumps. I have a plywood ramp.

What do you guys think would be the best to use? The Bandit, Slash or Rustler ? For upgrades and racing. Thanks
Your title says RTR.
Then you mentioned upgrades.
RTR class racing should be the model in the manufacturers rtr state.
What's the point in a RTR class if you're going to upgrade i.e modify it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Maybe a modified RTR class but then again that's not cost effective and fair as someone can buy everything in carbon fiber and titanium.
Get what I'm saying.
In rtr the model should remain stock and everyone should run the same battery.

All of those cars listed are good and technically the same car since they share the same parts. I recommend the slash just because you might be able to use it in a spec slash race at a nearby track or in a 2wd SCT class. But the rustler and bandit are good cars too. The slash already has bearings and hex hardware. But the rustler/bandit has bushings and Phillips hardware. Some other differences are that the rustler/bandit has fixed camber links and with the slash, they are adjustable links i am pretty sure.
If you want more durability I would recommend the Arrma 4x2 or 4x4 boost 1/10 cars.
Thanks DavidB1126
All very good and helpful information. I and the others appreciate you

Having raced all 3 platforms I can confirm that the Slash is the clear winner because it will offer the most stability and will be the least likely to require marshaling when you wreck. Open wheel designs are difficult to race for Sportsmen because they tend to get tangled up with each other where you can get away with more "rubbing" with a Slash.

I have some tips here back when I used to race the Spec Slash class:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2586859-Spec-Slash-Racing-Tips-and-Setup-Guide

Keep in mind that the Slash requires A LOT of maintenance if you want to be competitive with it. I pretty much had to rebuild the diff every single race day because the diffs are not sealed and the diff fluid will leak out :(

Just that reason alone would have me recommending the Losi 22S which also offers far more modern geometry and tuning options not available with the Slash... basically Slash would be taking a knife to a gunfight against the 22S:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-10-22s-2wd-sct-brushed-rtr/LOS03022.html

Slash also has far too many design flaws requiring a small fortune in upgrades where the 22S doesn't require a single upgrade for durability.

I am not affiliated with Horizon or Losi, in fact I am a team driver for HB Racing, I am just giving honest feedback on my personal experiences with this race class.

Good Luck!

Having raced all 3 platforms I can confirm that the Slash is the clear winner because it will offer the most stability and will be the least likely to require marshaling when you wreck. Open wheel designs are difficult to race for Sportsmen because they tend to get tangled up with each other where you can get away with more "rubbing" with a Slash.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2586859-Spec-Slash-Racing-Tips-and-Setup-Guide

Keep in mind that the Slash requires A LOT of maintenance if you want to be competitive with it. I pretty much had to rebuild the diff every single race day because the diffs are not sealed and the diff fluid will leak out :(

Just that reason alone would have me recommending the Losi 22S which also offers far more modern geometry and tuning options not available with the Slash... basically Slash would be taking a knife to a gunfight against the 22S:

Slash also has far too many design flaws requiring a small fortune in upgrades where the 22S doesn't require a single upgrade for durability.

I am not affiliated with Horizon or Losi, in fact I am a team driver for HB Racing, I am just giving honest feedback on my personal experiences with this race class.

Good Luck!
Good info. But it doesn't sound like they are doing any kind of sanctioned racing. Just friendly competition as a group. So maybe they are looking at Traxxas stuff for a budget? But yeah, I'd also take a Losi over the Traxxas offerings. One of these days I want to grab something on the 22S platform.

I have seen you posting on other forums Bill, and I've read a lot of your posts. It's good to have you here 😉

Good Luck!
Thank you. It's great to have first hand experience. I really appreciate it. I will let the others know.

thanks for the kind words, happy to contribute... the vibe of this forum is reminiscent of URC :)
Yeah, I am a forum junkie since the 90's. I really like the group we have here. Lots of really helpful folk, which is really a godsend in this hobby.

Your title says RTR.
Then you mentioned upgrades.
RTR class racing should be the model in the manufacturers rtr state.
What's the point in a RTR class if you're going to upgrade i.e modify it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Maybe a modified RTR class but then again that's not cost effective and fair as someone can buy everything in carbon fiber and titanium.
Get what I'm saying.
In rtr the model should remain stock and everyone should run the same battery.
It's just a group of guys with limited budgets trying to have a little fun. We planned staying with cheaper rtr brushed motor and ESC. But upgrading whatever else.

It's just a group of guys with limited budgets trying to have a little fun. We planned staying with cheaper rtr brushed motor and ESC. But upgrading whatever else.
Definitely slash, it's the easiest to drive and most durable.
Bandit has small tires with no cushion, shorter arms and smaller shocks, that's a recipe for broken parts given the distance of the jump. The Slash has issues breaking at the rear screw holes above the transmission.

Of the choices listed, I'd go Rustler. The Stampede would be a better choice due to big cushion tires and ground clearance.
I completely disagree. Out of all Traxxas 2wd cars bandit is the most durable. Stampede is the most fragile, because of big tires. Bandit has identical shocks like the rest of Traxxas cars, regular ultra shocks, not smaller.

On 2wd platform parts that break the most are chester blocks and front and rear hub carriers, but they are cheap, like 3$ for a pair

Last edited:

The stock 2WD Slash is a class race. Love it, even in the Stadium class race;

261193688_210594647891056_5307006733146931312_n.jpg

I have only broken a rod after 2 years of racing. Basically, I am an Arrma guy, but I am still impressed by the Slash.
Nobody runs Bandit at the track. But I saw a couple of new EA TA buggy 1/10 RTR 2WD.
PL

Maybe he also "burned out" or lost interest into hobby. It happens all the time. It's also interesting how Lego is much more popular than rc

TheJANG had mentioned other factors to include getting married and wanting to start a family. He moved too far away from NorCal Hobbies to race anymore and Cali prohibits RC of any form just about anywhere on public land that isn't specifically sanctioned for RC. He said that the revenue coming in from his Lego channel was a far cry ahead of the measly income from the URC channel. In the end the final straw was the cease and desist order from MaxAmps making URC more trouble than it was worth so he gave it up.

My biggest regret was not copying over all the review threads I had created when I had the chance. TheJANG didn't really give a timeline of when he was going to shut down the forum, but it happened shortly after the MaxAmps ordeal. He had trained a very few select admins and they had ghosted on him to where I believe he didn't want to go through the hassle of training anyone else to become an admin either. There was a lot of babysitting he had to manage on the forums where URC was just too much than he was willing to deal with anymore where the MaxAmps debacle created an insane amount of admin overhead .

Last edited:
We are now leaning towards the Losi 22 sct instead of the Traxxas products. Bill_DLong made a great case for the Losi rtr. It just seems to be better quality. And priced similar.

Back