Stiffer springs?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrferly2004

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i have a maxx that I'm having problems with dialing in the suspension. I'm looking to find some springs i can use without loading up on the spacers. my truck is kind of heavy and i bottom out a lot. I've tried using the "bumpstop" method but I worry about the wear that it is causing on my shocks. I would like to reduce (i know eliminating it isnt good) the bottoming out without having it be too stiff. I've heard many people talking about trinity springs but after hours of searching, i can't find any. Should I just keep the bumpstops in? Has anyone used the integy blue springs( #t3849s), they are the only springs my lhs carries. I drive 95% offroad so the bumpstops which help me not bottom out, are also severely limiting my shock travel. Any advice on setting up suspension for a heavy truck would be appreciated.
thanks

Would I be better off just letting it bottom out, and takin off the bumpstops?

I'd pick up a set of threaded shocks that come with springs... You can dial in alot better with them...

That or Traxxas big bore shocks/springs with whatever weight shock oil you need..

I have heard that the Integy springs are one of the only thing good that Integy makes. You dont want to have your shocks wound out to tight though, you want to have alittle bit of sag in the shocks to absorb the impact of the landing. Get some heavier wt oil, maybe some Racers Edge springs and or progressive rate and or Integy.

So i already have big bores, 70 weight oil in the rear, 50 weight in the front.
I just ordered a set of rcraven dual rate springs. I'm gunna give those a go and see if I can dial those in. The problem I'm having is finding a happy medium between stiff enough to handle my heavy truck, but not so stiff that its not drivable offroad, since thats all i do.

You should be good with RCraven . Progressive rate . Took me ages and i mean ages to get my truck set up to how i wanted it with it being so heavy . Now i dont have any probs . I've sacrificed a little bit of handleing so i can pull off bigger jumps without bottoming out too much . But my shocks are long travel shocks of a 1/8th truggy and work wonders

yeah sometimes the best shocks and springs go to something else. atleast i have founr that a couple times to be true. and sometimes you can't keap it from bottoming out on a big jump.. exspecially with a heavy truck.... how heavy we talking?? completly aluminum????

Yer just put em on by chance didn't think they would work so good but they do . Mines got the full rollcage alu shock towers . Alu Servo guard . Alu fuel protector . True track rod rear end conversion . Alu bumpers . Alu bulkheads . Alu skid plates front rear center . And still flies surprisingly lol .

thats alittle more aluminum then what i have on the old e-maxx i redidstill (origional size motors for now) and she is heavy, my classic with the 3.3 is so lite compared to it.. I could just imagine how heavy that thing is.. you ever run into yourself at high speed and you will notice it.. careful...l.o.l

Yer i done a post ages ago . Callled took me clean out . Which is wat i done by accident and really hurt lol

I have come close a few times but yeah that would suck... too bad no video l.o.l

Just curious...is it possible to set it to not bottom out, and still not have it be so stiff it won't handle off-road. I'm waiting on my rcraven dual rate springs. Does anyone have experience with these. Should I use 4 or all 8? I think I should b ok using all 8 because they r dual rate

I was gonna post these here...... but nobody seeemed interested...... should I reconsider?? I have 2 sets of 8. Willing to let em go cheap.

fancyshocks.jpg

I dont know if its the pic or not but those look slitghty warpped to me I could be wrong but if you look closely you might see what I see.

Thats just an illusion. If it were bent I would tell ya. I could have shined it up all pretty and taken a picture of the best one LOL.
Nothing wrong w em.

If ya look REAL CLOSE, the bottom one looks warped UPwards also. I assure your there straight and free moving.

Thats just an illusion. If it were bent I would tell ya. I could have shined it up all pretty and taken a picture of the best one LOL.
Nothing wrong w em.

If ya look REAL CLOSE, the bottom one looks warped UPwards also. I assure your there straight and free moving.

Sorry, just thought it should be pointed out. Thats all.

I just listed them in the clasifieds.

I took a CLOSE UP DETAILED picture because I have nothing to hide. I didnt realise it would look funny that close up. But YES, I can see why people say they look bent, its just an illusion though.

heres a pic to show scale LOL........This is the SAME SHOCK IN THE PICTURE!! it's STILL WAY OFF!!! Hold a shock up against the screen, when ya see things THAT CLOSE, they look funny. LOL.

There mint, maybee a scratch or 2 but nothing bent or abused.

comparespring.jpg

Last edited:
Back