Steering problems with rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
The steering links came in last night and installed them. Just took the rustler out and ran 1 battery. One of the wheels turns more inward than the other. I think might have a problem with the servo or the steering blocks. Or might be the toe. I didn't adjust the toe yet. Still have the stock Traxxas 2056 servo plastic gears. If you think it is the servo what servo to get? In the slash I have the Traxxas 2075R metal gears and waterproof. For servo I am looking for Metal Gears, Waterproof, 30-45 dollars is my budget. If you think it is the steering block - Plastic or Aluminum. I don't know if RPM makes steering blocks but I know that they make caster blocks. I don't want the Traxxas aluminum because it is $35.
PXL_20210908_235230770.jpg
PXL_20210908_235222564.jpg

I would pull the servo saver off, center the wheel trim, reinstall. If it doesn't work, then you need to adjust the links on one side to correct it.

There are servos on Amazon in that price range. Metal gear, waterproof, etc. There are red ones that are 25kg and blue ones that are 35kg I think.

Last edited:
Did the truck do it from factory? Is it steering tighter or more one way. I want to say my nitro sport did that years ago.

Also try the servo from your other truck, keeping it all centered.

Did the truck do it from factory? Is it steering tighter or more one way. I want to say my nitro sport did that years ago.

Also try the servo from your other truck, keeping it all centered.
My dad got it from our hobby shop. Didn't do it from when we got it.

My dad got it from our hobby shop. Didn't do it from when we got it.
First off, get the steering links adjusted so they are both the same length, and your toe is set. Just set them both straight to start. But looking at the pic, it appears the passenger side link is a lot longer. If so, fix that first.

Then turn the car on, center the servo trim on the Tx. Install the servo saver, trying to keep the wheels as straight as possible.

After that, drive it and then adjust your toe turning each turnbuckle the same amount until it drives how you like it.

There are servos on Amazon in that price range. Metal gear, waterproof, etc. There are red ones that are 25g and blue ones that are 35g I think.
but whos counting kilos lol, missed that important letter ! should be 25 kg along with 35 kg

put them on a diet and get stronger glasses.. a exercise program works LOL.

I had the same problem when I bent a caster arm, I replaced it and adjusted it but still did not track straight. I then did #6837 steering blocks and #1985 washer to take the play out. No slop in the front wheels and drives straight now.

Anyone figure out the problem? My truck tracks straight but both wheels turn like the original post said. I centered my servo and adjusted my steering links. If i turn left my left tire turns way farther than the right and the same happens to the right tire if I turn right.

1. :welcome_sign: to the forum.
2. Back to an old thread
3. I don't know what it was tbh. I think it was because of the plastic bellcrank or servo saver. They have a lot of slop. I had upgraded the servo. I also upgraded to an aluminum servo horn (more direct steering than the stock saver) , aluminum bellcrank, aluminum steering hubs, and VXL steel toe links. And I don't have the problem any more.

Anyone figure out the problem? My truck tracks straight but both wheels turn like the original post said. I centered my servo and adjusted my steering links. If i turn left my left tire turns way farther than the right and the same happens to the right tire if I turn right.
Maybe adjust EPAs? Go to full left and right and look at the servo saver and bellcrank and see if you can turn the wheels with the servo on full lock. If so, there is probably play in the servo saver or bellcrank. Or even the hubs.

When I had the stock plastic bellcrank and servo saver I did this and there was a bunch of play in the saver and bellcrank.

It's possible that the issue could be related to the servo or the steering blocks, but it's also possible that it could be related to the toe. Before you make any changes, it might be a good idea to check the toe and make sure that it's properly adjusted