Steering just stopped, help I'm new in this hobby!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambino318

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi, I am brand new to this hobby and was wondering if someone can answer a question for me. I have a earthquake 3.5, bought it used and has run great thus far. Was just playing with it today and my steering just stopped, not even making the noise when you turn the wheel on the receiver. Truck still powers up and runs, just can't turn it! I see a battery pack or a servo pack that may control the steering, do those eventually go bad and could that be my problem? Are they hard to change? I appreciate the help.

Does you remote have a reverse switch (makes your servos operate opposite to your movements), if so try that! if you can hear your steering servo spin from one side to the other, your servos probably good, next I want you to Check the gap between the transmitter and transmitter wheel if it looks uneven (crooked wheel) the nut holding onto your T/X wheel might have fallen off or broke off....this will cause you R/C to not respond.

Also check the steering servo horn, make sure the internal splines aren't stripped out.

Just changed the batteries yesterday. Still same problem. I can hear the servo like it wants to turn, just not getting any response from the wheels at all.

---------- Post added at 6:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:48 PM ----------

Wheels are straight, controller is set right. The servo horn your talking about I'm not to familiar with. When i turn the wheel on the receiver, I hear the servo working but it is not moving the linkage that is attached to the servo. When I move the wheels manually, obviously the linkage attached to the servo is moving. I'll have to take the servo apart to check the splines as you mentioned. Never took this thing apart yet, should be fun!!

The splines I was referring to are on the little linkage that is screwed into the servo, if this part is still plastic, they will wear out over time. If its not the linkage piece the you might have stripped a gear inside the servo.

The most likely cause is that your steering servo failed. The best way to check this is to try plugging the steering servo into the throttle spot on your receiver. If the servo still does not work then the problem is the servo. However, if the servo now works your most likely problem is the receiver. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Lee