Starting options

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkyd Basher

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hey guys, within the last year or 2 we have been through every starting option available. Ez start was junk obviously so I went with the tiger drive which was a nightmare also. I now have a pull start which works ok, but I hate having to butcher the body to be able to get to it. So we have been thing about trying a starter box (or bump start). Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on them and if it would be a good investment or not? Also wondered what I would have to change to use it. I know the different back plate and larger flywheel but is there anything else? Thanks for ur input!

Just the right size flywheel and backplate, I once had a box for a buggy I had and it worked great man, never had any trouble with it

I love my starter box for my REVO it makes starting so much easier.

I have the Ofna roto start Part#50007 back plate on both my revo and slayer pro! I love it but they are hard to find!

I have the roto start on my revo as well. It's super easy to use. Finding the back plate is a little tough but it works like a charm.

No need to change the back plate to use a starter box unless you want to loose the extra weight and gain a few more rpm’s. Starter box works with cheezy start/pull start/roto start/tiger drive. For racing I use a bump start back plate, for a bashing rig I use a pull or roto start, that way I can use a starter box and the pull or roto start.
If swapping to a bump start back plate you will may need to change the crank or grind the starter shaft pin off the current crank (depending on the engine your using).
All you really need to use a starter box is the correct diameter flywheel in combination with the starter box you use.

P.S. I have 5 of the ofna roto starts... Not for sale:p:

Well that's really good to know, because I wanted to leave the starter box at my buddys track but I didn't know how I was gonna start it for testing and things b4 I went. I bought the tiger drive and installed it on my picco. Nothing but problems with the one way bearing slipping. Replaced the bearing and it started slipping after about 2 runs.Anyone have any experience with the rd logics starter box?http://www.ebay.com/itm/RDLogics-RD...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4867956667And how do I know which size flywheel if it doesn't say?

Traxxas 4142X 40mm flywheel! The Ofna starter box for the Revo is cheaper, just another option!

Last edited:
OP, I am pretty sure I have an ofna (or maybe duratrax, can't remember which) roto start back plate for the Trx/os tm/picco max engines. It takes the Traxxas owb. I will check when I get home. The only nitro I run is the revo but it has an lrp big block so this one I don't have any use for it.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

And here's a thread on the Traxxas site that talked about using the red cat roto start plate on the 3.3 engines:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?9004675-Rotostart-for-3-3

This might do the trick if you want to run a roto start

I put a Dynamite Mach 427 in my Revo 2.5, a starter box is the only way to start it because there was not enough room to use the pull start on the motor, it would hit the rear A arm so I had to change the crank and back plate and buy a starter box. I have never owned a starter box until now. It works great! I also have the Ofna box.

Just looking ahead, but is the 40mm flywheel gonna clear the carb body? It looks as though its gonna hit it.

Hey Guys-
I was thinking of picking up this OFNA starter box for my REVO:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E9LM9E...TF8&colid=30RXWPOQQVJ8R&coliid=I22Q3IRAB83QE0
I have the 3.3 motor on the truck...I was wondering if I'll need to buy a battery/charger for the box? And it sounds like I can use the Starter Box with the pullstart on the truck? Lastly, do I need to buy a different flywheel than the stock one?
Thanks!