Starter box with external charger connectors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevy-SS

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I hated taking batteries out of starter box to charge them. I wired up two DPDT (double pole, double throw) switches and some external connectors. Now I can charge the batteries without having to remove them. I soldered a 15A automotive type fuse (the flat bladed style) into each battery wire for safety. This thing works great. (Pictured is a standard starter box that comes with a Hyper7 PCR)

3469Starter.jpg

Last edited:
very nice do you think maybe you could draw up a skematic that shows how to wire it properly so the rest of us can do it?

Very nicely done

Great idea, however, now I'm glad I didn't buy that starter box. Why 2 sets of connections on the outside and 2 switches?

2 motors. 2 batteries i think.

nice work. nothing better than making it your own.
wiita

Ofna sells a pannel that will give you the ports for a charger and also for a glow igniter. It works very well, not to take away from what you did very nice job and thats using your head.

Last edited:
The two battery packs are wired in series, which is why I have two seperate switches. When I move the switches to "charge position", I have completely isolated each battery from the circuit.

This means I can charge each pack independently, just like any typical charger was intended to do, with no special setup for the charger. Simply charge each battery pack as if it was laying on the bench. There is only the one motor in the starter box, but you need two switches so that you can isolate each battery pack.

I have not eliminated the main on/off switch. That is on the other end of the starter box (not pictured). I'll do up a wiring diagram and post it here, since it seems that some of you like it.

Sounds like a good idea, well done. I might give something similar a go myself. :)

By the way, Rhyton, can you buy the powerpanel seperately? My one on my ofna box seems to have died :( wish I could find out what was wrong with it.

Ok now I see. One thing about using embrosing tape, it tends to come off when you really need it. Maybe a color coding for the batteries. Just an idea.

Just get out a parmenent marker and color the tips of the screws. Red and black. Or even the wifes nailpolish and just do the positive.

Good job!

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5

By the way, Rhyton, can you buy the powerpanel seperately? My one on my ofna box seems to have died :( wish I could find out what was wrong with it.

Here is a link to the power panel

power panel

Rock on, thanks.

Sooo pricey though, think I might just convert my glow ignitor to rechargeable instead!

Back