Stampede xl-5 bushings to bearings

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theant

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Finally ordered up a set of sealed rubber ball bearings for the pede. I'm sure that these will make a big difference all around. I have read alot of times that this is one of the best and most important upgrades to do to an xl-5.

Question is: will swapping out the bushings for a set of bearings tighten up the wheels in the carriers all by themselves, or will I have to upgrade some other parts at the same time. ie: the plastic tie rods to the aluminum adjustable ones. The plastic tie rods that are stock on the xl-5 seem to be pretty loose and flimsy, but RPM also makes replacements of the plastic versions as well, which I have thought of putting on.

Any thoughts??

Bearings do tend to clean up the slop in the carriers. If there is still slop in the carriers, try adding some shims.

RPM is a great upgrade, IMO.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

What about the fiber washers? Dont they act as shims?

Those are the shims. You can get em in steel as well. Sometimes you need to use a two or three. I replaced all the links with steal turnbuckles. .15 Maxx turnbuckles are good replacements for the stockers. I believe they need a little trimming on each end. Just make sure to measure and order the propper length links. It's been awhile, but I think I used trimmed maxx turnbuckles in place of the stockers, then used the stock turnbuckles in place of the plastic links in the rear. Then found some in my bone yard to use in place of the shorter front plastic links.

+1 on adding a few shims, just don't cause binding. Depending on the "mileage" you put on those bushings, the axles may be worn where they sat in the bushing.

+1 on adding a few shims, just don't cause binding. Depending on the "mileage" you put on those bushings, the axles may be worn where they sat in the bushing.

I should be ok still. I have only had the pede for a couple of months now. I just ordered some bearings to put in there and will get them today hopefully. I will add some washers for shimming and see if that helps. I also ordered a suspension pin set from the vxl model since the e-clip went flying when I took apart the carrier from the castor.....I hate e-clips!!!!!:angry:

I should be ok still. I have only had the pede for a couple of months now. I just ordered some bearings to put in there and will get them today hopefully. I will add some washers for shimming and see if that helps. I also ordered a suspension pin set from the vxl model since the e-clip went flying when I took apart the carrier from the castor.....I hate e-clips!!!!!:angry:

One of the first things I do when I get a vehicle with e-clips is to get rid of them.

Done! Picked up the suspension pins for the 2wd vxl pede...no more eclips.

Back