Stalling easily.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I finally got the reciever and transmitter in the mail Unfortuneatly as soon as I got home and opened the packed i had to go back to work for a service call...people and their air conditioning emergencies!

So I return it's 6:30pm, I eat dinner and I was gonna just mess with the Savage tomorrow but decided I couldn't wait, so 7:20pm I start messing with it as the sun goes down.

It came with the roto start 2 which I charged all the batteries it came with so I was ready to go. It started for a second and stalled and then the rotostart2 kept tripping the reset, and even resetting it sometimes it just didn't work, figured maybe it was bad battery or the roto start itself(bought used).

Luckily I had a spare roto start 1 from when I had my first savage. Out the battery in it and it just spun every time I pulled the trigger.

Finally get the new to me Savage X going, or coarse the sun is down already :( so I figured I'd run it for 1 or 2 tanks in the backyard.

Before actually running it, I'm warming it up a little idling because it's stalling if I give a hair too much gas, looks like the LSN is even with the housing of the carb, maybe the seller put it to factory settings not sure.

So I keep restarting it as it stalls from giving too much gas, it seems to idle a bit high because it creeps forward ever slowly while idling. I got it up to 160 degrees and it just kept stalling when I gave 1/4 has or so. Never got to run it, I gave up since it was fighting me and dark.

The HSN is a black plastic screw head, I don't know if it was also set to factory or whatb I do have some fuel from the exhaust on the floor of my garage from idling and giving a little gas.

Tomorrow I will hopefully get out of work on time and test it out. Seems to have good compression from spinning the motor, glow plug lights almost to the top it's like 1 cool away which seems like all my plugs are when on the ignitor.

I don't have a manual but I guess I'll download it from online.

So I finally got the reciever and transmitter in the mail Unfortuneatly as soon as I got home and opened the packed i had to go back to work for a service call...people and their air conditioning emergencies!

So I return it's 6:30pm, I eat dinner and I was gonna just mess with the Savage tomorrow but decided I couldn't wait, so 7:20pm I start messing with it as the sun goes down.

It came with the roto start 2 which I charged all the batteries it came with so I was ready to go. It started for a second and stalled and then the rotostart2 kept tripping the reset, and even resetting it sometimes it just didn't work, figured maybe it was bad battery or the roto start itself(bought used).

Luckily I had a spare roto start 1 from when I had my first savage. Out the battery in it and it just spun every time I pulled the trigger.

Finally get the new to me Savage X going, or coarse the sun is down already :( so I figured I'd run it for 1 or 2 tanks in the backyard.

Before actually running it, I'm warming it up a little idling because it's stalling if I give a hair too much gas, looks like the LSN is even with the housing of the carb, maybe the seller put it to factory settings not sure.

So I keep restarting it as it stalls from giving too much gas, it seems to idle a bit high because it creeps forward ever slowly while idling. I got it up to 160 degrees and it just kept stalling when I gave 1/4 has or so. Never got to run it, I gave up since it was fighting me and dark.

The HSN is a black plastic screw head, I don't know if it was also set to factory or whatb I do have some fuel from the exhaust on the floor of my garage from idling and giving a little gas.

Tomorrow I will hopefully get out of work on time and test it out. Seems to have good compression from spinning the motor, glow plug lights almost to the top it's like 1 cool away which seems like all my plugs are when on the ignitor.

I don't have a manual but I guess I'll download it from online.

What engine is it!
It sounds like its set at factory still.I've gotten used engines before were the people had never
tuned or leaned the engines out!....Lol ...those are the good ones to get!

What engine is it!
It sounds like its set at factory still.I've gotten used engines before were the people had never
tuned or leaned the engines out!....Lol ...those are the good ones to get!
I messaged the seller, he reset it to factory m, so most likely it was just crazy rich.

I'll lean it out tomorrow, it's the stock 4 6

I'm a little stupid and I thought the LSN was the screw head on the side of the carb under the HSN.

And I thought the LSN was the idle screw lol

That was last night, so today after work hopefully I straighten everything out lol

I'm a little stupid and I thought the LSN was the screw head on the side of the carb under the HSN.

And I thought the LSN was the idle screw lol

That was last night, so today after work hopefully I straighten everything out lol

I did that with my 8.0 engine ,an blew it up!

I thought the mix meter screw was the LSN an flooded the engine so bad
that it threw the engine in hydraulic lock shattered the rod an sent fragments
into the sleeve.
I thought it was the tune ,but ,come to find out ,it was a clogged fuel tank ,an
forgot to reset the carb back after cleaning the tank.

That's why I always urge folks to check that stuff first before they blame the
carb settings!

I did that with my 8.0 engine ,an blew it up!

I thought the mix meter screw was the LSN an flooded the engine so bad
that it threw the engine in hydraulic lock shattered the rod an sent fragments
into the sleeve.
I thought it was the tune ,but ,come to find out ,it was a clogged fuel tank ,an
forgot to reset the carb back after cleaning the tank.

That's why I always urge folks to check that stuff first before they blame the
carb settings!
The mix meter screw?

I downloaded the manual and it didn't even talk about that screw, is It something left at factory settings? Just even with the carb body?

Its just below the HSN, the manual didn't even show it in the parts break down.

The mix meter screw?

I downloaded the manual and it didn't even talk about that screw, is It something left at factory settings? Just even with the carb body?

Its just below the HSN, the manual didn't even show it in the parts break down.

That setting is factory pre-set an doesn't require adjustment ,an is usually set flush with the housing.
Most carbs ,the LSN isn't even visible because its inside the slide barrel where the throttle servo
connects to at the end.

upload_2016-9-20_8-23-26.png

If you scroll on the images you can see on this engine where the LSN & brass
looking Mix meter screw is! I think the Mix meter screw adjusts how much fuel
goes into carb!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311696876419?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 18351

If you scroll on the images you can see on this engine where the LSN & brass
looking Mix meter screw is! I think the Mix meter screw adjusts how much fuel
goes into carb!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311696876419?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Yeah I accidently thought that was the LSN, but I remember it being flush with the housing, so I'll set it back.

The HSN has the flat head screw on the top but that entire thing seems like it's a rubbery plastic for gripping, am I supposed to hold the outside still and use a screw driver in the middle or Is the entire thing supposed to spin, looks like 1 piece but it was dark when I was messing with it.

If the entire thing is turned to adjust the needle than how do you make it flush with the housing to have it at factory?

Sorry I'm at work just over thinking and preparing myself for hopefully successfully running it later today lol

Yeah I accidently thought that was the LSN, but I remember it being flush with the housing, so I'll set it back.

The HSN has the flat head screw on the top but that entire thing seems like it's a rubbery plastic for gripping, am I supposed to hold the outside still and use a screw driver in the middle or Is the entire thing supposed to spin, looks like 1 piece but it was dark when I was messing with it.

If the entire thing is turned to adjust the needle than how do you make it flush with the housing to have it at factory?

Sorry I'm at work just over thinking and preparing myself for hopefully successfully running it later today lol

Yea ,kind of figured you was at work!

My Hpi 5.9 has the same Hsn set up with the plastic finger turn housing ,I love it because you don't need a screw
driver to adjust it out in the field!

Yea ,kind of figured you was at work!

My Hpi 5.9 has the same Hsn set up with the plastic finger turn housing ,I love it because you don't need a screw
driver to adjust it out in the field!
So how do I tell if it's set to factory?

So I leaned it out and it ran better and did a wheelie while still adjusting the tune.

Then it started sounding like it was too lean, probably because I'm dumb and messed with the LSN before the HSN was leaned. Either way it's getting there.

Of coarse then my 1200mah hump battery started to die and the thing almost took off because loss of signal and I didn't setup the built in failsafe in the RF-40 reciever yet.

So then I grab my 1600mah hump back from my HPI MT1 which has a few seasons on it already and of coarse that does right away too!

So then I grab my 4 AA battery back because I wasn't sure if I was having a battery problem or reciever problem, and the SAd lasted about 10minutes lol, they were brand new!

Should I get a different battery pack for this thing? Are the hump battery packs the go to batteries for these savage 's? Maybe my servos are too demanding?

So I'm currently charging them.... The 1200nah that the savage came with is probably bad it charged quick and I don't think it got even 500mah in it!

I set the LSN just a little leaned than factory, I changed the glow plug which seemed to help a lot, it never stalled again once I changed the glow plug.

In running a med hot with 20% fuel.

The reverse doesn't work, the servo moves but I think the linkage is out of adjustment.

You can try to cycle the battery packs a few times using an automotive brakelight. Charge, then run dead with the light a few times. May bring them back to life. 1200mah isn't much. Probably a good idea to pick up a 1400mah+ pack. I just use cheap intellect ones with my rigs and they last me all day.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellect-b...823166?hash=item2a58864dbe:g:H0wAAOxyepRRyYba

I think mine are all 1400mah...