Stainless Steel Screw Kits

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retread316

Adrenaline Junkie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I dug up one of my old posts over on that "other" forum...someone was asking me about quality stainless steel screws...here's the straight answer:

OK - Just like everyone else I can't stand the cheapo screws that come with the T-Maxx (or any other RTR for that matter). I've been looking at all the "pre-packaged" screw kits from all the companies out there (RC Raven, T-D Motorosports, Teambluestar, and all the kits available on E-Bay)...

Screw Kits on E-Bay (Click Here)

I didn't feel like paying someone else to put together a simple screw kit - so I found a few lists and compiled my own. Then I ordered all the screws from McMasters. I will list all the part numbers here and on my site sometime in the next week or so.

I ordered 18-8 Stainless Steel screws, I was in the middle of rebuilding my Small Block when the screws arrived. WOW! What a difference it is to have an abundance of QUALITY screws on hand when building/repairing the truck!

Seems a bit pricey at first, but find someone to split the order with and you have way more (nearly TEN times the amount) than the pre-packed kits (some offer only 64 pieces, some up to 350)...for about the same price!

I paid $56.00 for ONE THOUSAND PIECES of very high quality 18-8 Stainless Steel, made in Italy fasteners! Min order is for 100 of each type and they're very nicely boxed individually and well labeled. You can select from MANY different material types (alloy steel, black powder coated, etc.)

Here's the site, the site is AMAZING!
http://www.McMaster.com Look under the Category of "Fasteners" and then "Socket Cap Screw".

The list:
100 - FH 3x6
100 - FH 3x8
100 - FH 3x10
100 - FH 3x12
100 - FH 3x16
100 - BH 3x8
100 - BH 3x10
100 - BH 3x12
100 - BH 3x16
100 - 3mm Nylon Locknuts

Here's a complete list of what the different pieces are for...as you can see you will have PLENTY for extra trucks, guys in your club, lost pieces, etc, etc, etc...

Flat Head FH
8 – FH 2x8 – Differentials
2 – FH 3x6 – Chassis to receiver cover base
2 – FH 3x8 – Front skids to bellcrank posts
8 – FH 3x10 – Chassis brace to front and rear skids
2 – FH 3x10 – Chassis to throttle servo mount
2 – FH 3x10 – Chassis to battery box base
2 – FH 3x10 – Electric start plug
4 – FH 3x12 – Front skids to front bulkhead
4 – FH 3x12 – Rear skid to rear bulkhead
3 – FH 3x12 – Steering linkage
3 – FH 3x16 – Steering linkage
8 – FH 3x16 – Front and rear shock mounts
4 – FH 3x16 – Rear toe control link

Button Head BH
2 – BH 3x8 – Chassis to steering/shifting servo mount
4 – BH 3x8 – Battery/Receiver cover to base
2 – BH 3x8 – Chassis to bellcrank posts
7 – BH 3x10 – Transmission halves
2 – BH 3x10 – Chassis to throttle servo mount
4 – BH 3x10 – Differential halves
8 – BH 3x12 – Chassis brace to transmission
8 – BH 3x12 – Front & rear bumper mounts
8 – BH 3x16 – Front & rear body mounts

6 – LN M3 Lock nuts - Turnbuckles, etc.

I did NOT order these - they're easy enough to get and you just don't need that many on hand:
1 – LN M4 Lock nut - Spur Gear
4 – LN M5 Lock nuts - Wheel Lock Nuts

And here are the McMasters part numbers:

92125A126 Flat Head 6mm
92125A128 Flat Head 8mm
92125A130 Flat Head 10mm
92125A132 Flat Head 12mm
92125A134 Flat Head 16mm
92095A181 Button Head 8mm
92095A182 Button Head 10mm
92095A183 Button Head 12mm
92095A184 Button Head 16MM
93625A100 Nylon Insert Locknut 3mm

nice I'm gonna get some for my storm pro

Excellent Retread, thx for the list and the info

Cool...this info will post to the site soon as well!

I have some buddies here that did the same thing already thats what my truck was built with was the black oxied 9.8 screws and they are great. Rumor has it they arn't as brittal as the SS thats why we use the black. Anyway the boys here are gearing up for a new order and I plan to take full advantage of it. X

The Black Oxide are not as "soft" as the regular stainless steel screws. They will not strip as easily, but will rust a little quicker. I use a mix of stainless and black oxide. So far the first set of black oxides are still there and a little rusty. The Stainless ones have been replaced in areas of constant removal (ie skid plates for cleaning).

We use 316 stainless, harder than 18-8 but still rust resistant.
316 is a little more money.
Rule of thumb with stainless.
Harder = rust faster
Softer = slower.
I am not sure McMaster sells 316.
I have a supplier that does, if anyone is interested maybe we can do a group purchase, I am sure I can get them cheaper.

:D

are the stainless steel screws really strong? what do you all reccommend. i want the shiny stuff but someting that is strong and wont rust or strip.

Originally posted by j0olz
are the stainless steel screws really strong? what do you all reccommend. i want the shiny stuff but someting that is strong and wont rust or strip.

Yup, thats the line we skate in the marine industry. For most practical uses, 316 is the way to go, and on the scale that they would be used here, the money isn't that big.:D

arite, just put in an order for 5000 screws. yea cost me 257 dollars, but hell, i like shiny stuff. i got screws for my maxx, all my buggies, all my other cars, and even some household stuff.:banana:

Originally posted by M@xximillion
I have a supplier that does, if anyone is interested maybe we can do a group purchase, I am sure I can get them cheaper.

:D

I would be interested in going in on some new screws, count me in if we do a group thing.

Retread your list only has flat head and button head, what about the countersunk screws?

Originally posted by NCNitro

I would be interested in going in on some new screws, count me in if we do a group thing.

Retread your list only has flat head and button head, what about the countersunk screws?

I can answer that, Flathead are countersunk, Example.

FHSSMSP 6-32 x 1-1/2
means
Flathead Stainless steel Machine screw Phillips

What generaly is called flathead is actually slotted.;)

Cool, thanks for clarifying that ;)

Retread thanks for the list, I copied it and saved it. Now I know all the sizes at a quick glance.

Back