SS break-in done, drove it very hard today.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I burned an entire quart during my rich low-speed break-in procedure over the past 2 weekends. Today I took the truck out and hammered it and ended up burning a second quart of O’Donnell racing fuel. I left the LSN at the factory specs and I leaned out the HSN very slightly from the factory specs (about 1/8 turn). I have a Motorsaver filter. The truck is running great. It easily hits second gear and it keeps going. It blows plenty of smoke at full throttle with no hesitation when wide open. The engine temps were usually around 250 degrees but they did go up to 275 degrees when I was wide open at top speed in second gear for an extended period of time (across a huge parking lot and back).

The outside temps were about 90 degrees today and it was very humid. This weather is certainly not good for power but the truck seems to be very powerful. I am running the offroad 15/49 gearing and the truck nearly lifts a wheelie from a dead stop when launching straight ahead on pavement. If I hit it full throttle off the line while turning the wheel slightly it digs in and does lift one wheel a bit while making a wide turn. It handles very well at speed and I can actually do a little power slide at speed. I get it in second gear and do a long sweeping turn while at about ¼ throttle. The truck starts to slide very slightly and then I hit it wide open. When I hit it during this type of high-speed turn the truck actually slides out a bit. The suspension looks very cool when turning at speed, especially when under power. I did get the truck up on two wheels a bunch of times when turning at fairly high-speeds and I flipped it once. My once perfect body now has a bunch of scratches on it and I scratched the engine head a bit. Maybe using an SUV body with cooling holes cut out of the windshield and side windows would be a good idea because it would protect the engine from damage. I also took the truck offroad to an area with some medium packed dirt and the truck easily does donuts and it shoots dirt everywhere. Powerslides on dirt are simple. My truck got filthy, but offroad driving was awesome.

My quart of fuel lasted close to 2 hours and when I was running low on fuel I felt my brakes going away and my steering got slower. My newly charged NiMH 1100mAh battery pack was probably loosing juice. I really hoped that the battery pack would last longer than this. After I ran it dry of gas I immediately put the piston at the bottom of its stroke. I then took the truck home and spent a while cleaning it up. I removed the fuel tank, blew the remaining gas out of it, and spent a lot of time cleaning the dirt off the outside of the tank. I also cleaned the motor, the chassis, the transmission, and the suspension. I removed the glow plug and airfilter and ran some after run oil through the motor. I am ready to take it out again!

It idles great, easily gets up to top speed in second gear, and seems to start ok. The dual disc brakes are awesome (when my battery was fully charged) and reverse works perfectly. The only thing that seems a bit off is if I run it at around ½ throttle at low speeds it seems to bog a bit and the motor sounds a bit strange. Once I hit it wide open it is fine. Is it normal for the motor to seem a bit sluggish (and sound like it is bogging or hesitating) while at part throttle or do I need to tune my LSN?

Sounds like your having a lot of fun with your new savage. I don't know if that is normal or not but mine does it too. The solution: Always give it full trottle :D

omg. break it in then run it hard right away. All you bashers do me a favor, when you're about ready to go bashing, take your RC and throw it against a tree or a big rock and get it over with faster.

Vincemaxx119 said:
omg. break it in then run it hard right away. All you bashers do me a favor, when you're about ready to go bashing, take your RC and throw it against a tree or a big rock and get it over with faster.

Huh?

I ran it very rich and slow for a full quart of fuel (6 tanks) allowing the engine to fully cool with the piston at the bottom after each tank of fuel. That is twice as long as the factory recommended break in procedure.

Vincemaxx119 said:

are you twisted or what..
I guess i or we don't under stand were you are coming from

Vincemaxx119 said:

And this would accomplish what and for what purpose?

He broke it in properly and went out to do with it what was meant to be done. Once the engine is broken in, the fun starts and the really hardcore driving can be done.

So, your comment just seems a bit out of place.

They're not ment to have the s**t beat out of them but whatever floats your boat i guess. I have no say so in what you guys do with your vehicles.

Vincemaxx119 said:
They're not ment to have the s**t beat out of them but whatever floats your boat i guess. I have no say so in what you guys do with your vehicles.

What exactly do you believe they are they "meant" for?

They're meant to have fun with but if fun consists of repeatedly breaking and reparing your rc and always wasting money.....well......need i say more?

I have only had my Savage since jan this year and have almost replaced the entire truck including a new picco .26 engine. I get as much fun out of taking it apart and fixing it as i do by driving it so whats the problem. No doubt Vincemax119 has a proper real mans car that he drives to work in and stuff, does he waste money on fuel and new tyres and bits to keep it running.

Vincemaxx119 said:

LOL...as already asked, then what are they meant for. These things are built for some abuse. Granted, no one should find a building and just drop the truck off for giggles and grins. But through the normal course of driving these things, stuff breaks.

You can take as good a care of your ride as you like, but if all you do is drive in circles or stuff along those lines and you call it fun. Well, that is "what floats your boat."

If seeing something you've built perform to its limits and or beyond is something you enjoy, then go for it. I am in this category. And so far, both of the trucks that I beat the poop out of have been sold. And you know what, not a single complaint from the new owner. Why? Because despite the beatings, the trucks held up and were maintained in near new condition (even if it meant buying a ton of spare parts.) Now, those new owners are doing the same thing and having a blast.

I would recommend that you do as you see fit with your ride and watch what it is you say about others. Why? Because no where in his original post did rossb state anything to the effect that he "beat the poop" out of his ride. He said he drove it really hard. From his description, he just tuned it and had a blast. What if he had stated that he drove it into the side of a building at full speed, it came away without a scratch, and that he had a blast doing so?

Vincemaxx119 said:

You may say that.....you have NO Say in what rossb or we do with our vehicles but it's too late for that comment since you already gave your 2 cents about rossb's break in and hard fun driving time.

Regardless of what one does with their vehicle is there choice hopefully knowing that parts break from time to time and can be costly.

Maybe Vince, that you are one of those that had a bad experience from hard fun driving.
I have nothing against a hard built quality machine, but if you own one that was meant for enjoyment, than why not enjoy it the way you want to.

Rossb, I'm glad you're having fun running your Savage. From my short experienc in R/C theyt are a blast.

Vincemaxx119 said:

I spent a lot of time building it, I upgraded it (while building), and I painted it. I spent plenty of time and care breaking it in. I am now driving it hard and I am more than willing to fix anything that breaks.

I thought that was what this hobby was all about? It did not seem like my driving was going to result in breakage. I turned hard and gave it a lot of throttle but I did not do any crazy jumps and I did not crash into anything.

Vincemaxx119 said:
They're meant to have fun with but if fun consists of repeatedly breaking and reparing your rc and always wasting money.....well......need i say more?

Long live Got_Nitro?.

LMAO at robmob....that is some really funny poop (inside joke and all).

ok, i agree. My post was way out of place. NJRC, you hit the nail on the head. That same day, big T ate it into a curb. Broke alot of stuff and was pretty upset(or pissed if you will) and I mistakened hard driving for bashing. My bad and i hope i didnt make any enemies. Sorry for the screw up. Enjoy your savage rossb.

Last edited:
after a set of 6 runs at 200 degress for 4 min a peice i consider my engine to be done with break-in...I've always ran em hard right after that. I've only owned sport engines..so that is probably why this has never been a problem for me. i get good life out of my engines (4+...good enough for me) and dont see what is wrong with hammering your r/c right after a proper break-in or when ever..heck...for me personnally I'm not having fun with my r/c's unless I'm jumping beyond the limits of the truck/buggy...some may call it abuse but for me its all fun.

Back