Spur Options

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay, so I am not going to buy alloy or metal spurs for the obvious reason, but just curious if there is any company that makes a spur that is super tuff like metal, but will fail when it needs to fail?

I have melted 2 spurs within 2 tanks and am tired of replacing them...

It could have been the 2nd time overheated because my clutchbell was a light light purpley blue the last time it spun a spur gear?

Also what #t you guys use? I had a 48 (I think) on there last.

i was using 13-40 with the trx3.3. I'm using 17-36 with the lrp z28r motor.

you need to get the mesh set correctly between the clutch bell and spur and it wont break. my lrp has a tonne more power than the trx motor and i havent stripped one after 1/4 gallon and nearly at 1/2 and its not showing signs of wear.

3ad26cda.jpg

I'm running 15/36 with a 2.5R and it keeps up with my dads .19T in a tmaxx with 22/58. He aint happy about it either because before i dropped from a 40 tooth he would just outrun the crap outta me.

So its getting just hot enough to melt the spurs mesh then spin it off, I see now. Does the paper mesh trick work with nitro gears, no idea here...?

yes the paper trick works quite well. I just slightly tighted down the inside screw,(towards the center of the truck), then pick up the the other side tight then back it off till the spur spins nice and free. But the paper trick does work well but i have even got it to tight before with the paper trick. Like i said just make sure the bell teeth r in the spur teeth as much as u can without any binding or roughness in spinning the spur.

Did you say melted? You have an aluminum clutch? You have some serious slippage issues causing the spur teeth to melt.
I would not even consider a metal spur, the plastic ones can last and last....just ask my brushless revo.
There is no such thing as a forgiving metal spur gear, and they will destroy a stock bell, so make sure you get a hardened bell too.

We had an issue similar on the tmaxx. Seemed every time we ran it it stripped a spur all the way around except on the inner edge. Come to find out the rear engine mount bolts kept loosening and causing it. Took them out and replaced em with 12mm instead of 10 and red lock tite. Hasnt stripped another one again! So check that along with the paper trick.

Back