Spur Gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxxtrac

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I WAS INSPECTING MY SPUR GEAR AND NOTICED A BROKE TOOTH. SO I WENT AND BOUGHT A NEW ONE FROM LHS. I ALREADY HAVE THE MOTOR OFF TO REPLACE SOME STARTER PARTS AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE COULD GIVE ME THE STEPS TO REPLACE THE SPUR GEAR FROM THERE.:cheers:

Since you have the engine off already, the replacement of the spur should be relatively easy.

Take the old spur off by removing the slipper clutch nut and pulling the gear. Take the slipper pegs out of the old gear and install them in the new gear (unless the new gear came with new pegs). Put the new gear where the old one is. Reapply the slipper clutch nut. Put the engine back where it belongs and adjust the mesh.

"From another SkyMaxx post"

Setting gear mesh is very important to the longevity of both gears and the components driving and being driven by the gears.

Here's how to do the mesh check.
1. Loosen the screws that hold the motor mounts to the chassis plate (don't take them all the way out).

2. Make sure you have both spur gear and clutch gear on properly (since you've mounted the spur and the clutch is attached to the motor, you probably have little to worry about here).

3. Take the plastic bag that the spur gear came in (a ziploc bag will work just as well) and place one thickness of the plastic between the two gears.

4. Push the motor back into place so that the two gear compress on the plastic.

5. Tighten the motor mount screws (making sure that the motor mounts are as square to the chassis as possible...you want the gears to have as even a surface to surface contact as possible).

6. Pull the bag out. The gears should rotate freely and mesh together just right.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
THANKS SKY MAXX ONCE AGAIN I REALY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP. THIS IS MY FIRST TRUCK AND YOU HAVE MADE THE LEARNING EXPERIANCE ENJOYABLE.:cool:

Glad to help. Can I make one small request? Turn the caps lock off when posting. It is considered yelling in the internet world when you type an entire post in all caps. Thanks, and welcome to the T-Maxx family.

oops sorry about that as you can tell i'm new to all this i won't let it happen again. thanks again

No problem...figured it was something like that...some members get fired up over that and didn't want you to get blasted.

adding to the Skymaxx post, when you put the slipper nut back on, tighten it all the way down and then back it off 1\4 turn

Next time you work on your truck you may want to get an extra set of friction begs and install them in your slipper. This will make it operate smoother. The reason for the slipper is to help protect your transmission from abrupt torque. The smoother the better. And it only costs a few dollars.

thanks guys i apreciate the info:cheers:

also to add to the Skymaxx post IF YOU EVER TYPE A WHOLE POST IN CAPS AGAIN I WILL PERSONALLY HUNT YOU DOWN AND CUT OFF YOU PINKIES TO PREVENT YOU FROM EAISLY HITTING THE SHIFT AND CAPS LOCK KEYS...

Sorry couldn't help it. Ok I'm not sorry but It just caught me off gaurd someone thanking Skymaxx just freeked me out. X

ya i guess i had that comming:cheers:

Back