Spur Gear Problem & Clutch bearings

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighomedog11

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey I have stripped like 3 Spur Gears, And i am not sure why i keep stripping them. But i notice that my Clutch bearing gear will be stiff to move when i move the Spur Gear. So i remove the Clutch gear and i notice that the bearings seem to be hard to move and not really free. I am wondering could this be a reason why i stripped the Spur gear? I am also wondering can I just lube the bearing up with some Wd-40 or do i need to buy a hole new bearing?

And last question is, I had a hard time keeping it to idle could this be why because the Clutch bearing was bad?

Hey I have stripped like 3 Spur Gears, And i am not sure why i keep stripping them. But i notice that my Clutch bearing gear will be stiff to move when i move the Spur Gear. So i remove the Clutch gear and i notice that the bearings seem to be hard to move and not really free. I am wondering could this be a reason why i stripped the Spur gear? I am also wondering can I just lube the bearing up with some Wd-40 or do i need to buy a hole new bearing?

And last question is, I had a hard time keeping it to idle could this be why because the Clutch bearing was bad?

You can try to remove them and lube them, but personally I'd just replace them. Mine blew up the other day and partially froze my clutch bell up, took me a few minutes to figure out why my truck wouldn't idle.

In a pinch you can soak them in penetraiting lube then use the corner of a razor blade to carefully pop off the rubber seal"dont pry on it! work it around so you dont bend it"you will then be able to pack it with grease after cleaning, this will get you going untill you get the new ones, dont forget to set the mesh properly

Last edited:
I am most likely just going to buy new ones from my local hobby shop because they are probably like 5 dollars.

Also my problem is i am having trouble setting my mesh correctly because i keep stripping spur gears

Setting the mesh can be tricky theres a few how to's on here but its mainly just feel. I'm sure someone will post up a how to for ya.

Yeah i watch a few videos but i guess i am still not doing it rite. Could it be a possibility that i have the center nut too tight?

That would be your slipper clutch adjustment and yes too tight is a bad thing, first never fully tighten this nut only snug it, once snug back it off 1/2 turn drive the truck and adjust accordingly, I run about 1/4 from lightly snugged,

A strip of paper between the spur gear and clutch bell gear will help you set the correct gear mesh. Works well. I believe that's what Traxxas recommends also.

You should check the motor mount and make sure it's not broken.

That would be your slipper clutch adjustment and yes too tight is a bad thing, first never fully tighten this nut only snug it, once snug back it off 1/2 turn drive the truck and adjust accordingly, I run about 1/4 from lightly snugged,
Alright. How do I know how much it needs to be adjusted. What signs will I notice if it nee to be adjused more?

Yah my engine mounts and stuff are good not cracked

Alright. How do I know how much it needs to be adjusted. What signs will I notice if it nee to be adjused more?

Yah my engine mounts and stuff are good not cracked

If its a tad loose it will slip under hard exceleration acting as if you have lost power on the bottom end if this happens just tighten 1/16th and make a pass, the purpose of the slipper is to take stress out of the driveline, you want it to slip a little but not so much that it slips under normal exceleration

Did you actually take it apart and look or are you just looking at it?
How about the transmission bearings?
Is your frame bent underneath the engine?

I did not take it off mount. I just removed the engine and gas tank and looked at it..

Not really sure about my Transmission bearings. I never changed them sense i had the truck. I never knew this things had transmission bearings. How will i know if those are bad?

You would know by turning the tranny over by hand, should spin freely when spining the output shaft by hand

You would know by turning the tranny over by hand, should spin freely when spining the output shaft by hand

I will need to take the tranny out to do this?

No just disconnet the centershafts via the grub pin and slide them forward

Alright will do. I do not think it has a shifting problem though. It is just the spur gear stripping. I did not go fast enough to even get into 2nd

A strip of paper between the spur gear and clutch bell gear will help you set the correct gear mesh. Works well. I believe that's what Traxxas recommends also.
I use a strip of paper myself and it seems to work good

Once it's all tightened up hold your finger on the cb and wiggle the spur against it,there should be an ever so slight amount of wiggle room,make sure you check through the whole circumference of the spur,if there's a tight spot it will strip and if there is too much play it will also strip,

Back