Soon to be savage octane owner, couple of questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenman242

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so my Savage Octane will be here hopefully this week and I'm itching for some upgrades...since its based on the xl what does everyone recommend.
I have next to no experience with the savage truck so I guess this is going to be a bit of a learning curve. the first thing I was thinking was going rpm for arms and skids but I can't seem to marry up a part number for the centre skid ,any care to shed some light on this for me :)

Rpm doesn't make a center skid for xl only x. Integy rear hub carriers are a must imho. Then shim your diffs and servo upgrades.

hmm that sucks does any other manufacturer make a centre skid??

The only company I can think of off the top of my head is Integy center skid plates for the Savage XL. I've seen several people just make their own out of a sheet of lexan and some zip ties.

thanks for the link woodie ,I know as a centre skid integy would ok but I can't bring myself to buy it however I have had success with rcdamper/gpm gear so I think ill order that one now.
any other out of the box mods/upgrades I should focus on?

The thing I've heard the Savage Octane needs the most is time... run time that is. Of the people I seen run it here or over at HPISavageForum is that it is taking many many tanks for the Octane to really break in and come to life.

Get yourself some time, fuel and extra batteries for now. :D

@chickenman242, I'm jealous man. I've been itching to get my hands on one of these trucks for quite a while. Finances won't allow it at the moment so I'll hang tight and maybe learn through you if this rig is a worthwhile investment. Keep us updated, eh? :mustache:

I'm also considering the Losi Gas model as well..

Last edited by a moderator:
i had considered the losi but due to lack of local support i went for the savage,i have had to save every penny i could and sell a few rigs to come up with the near $1100 to get my hands on this thing so i really hope its going to as good as i hope, I'll keep everyone updated with it i just gotta go call the lhs and get a better time frame the suspense is killing me.

On the topic of centre skids i ended going for the fast lane one, i have used their gear before and its top notch and plus at $31 shipped to au it was the cheapest too.

You buy the Fast Lane center skid play from ebay or another place?

it was on ebay ,I was shopping for some bit for another project and jumped over to skid plates and It was the first thing that poped up.
on another note, called the lhs and its been delayed again. apparently the Australian distributor which covers both losi and hpi here can't give them an exact time frame saying its now going to be sometime this month.

@WoodiE I was thinking about the batteries ,considering they're only 1200mah I wonder if a pair of li-fe packs would work. I'm unfamiliar with hpi radio but from what my mate says its a boat anchor lol.
I do have a spektum dx3s here just need to get a receiver....

Yes the HPI radio is pretty useless, they should be disappointed that they ship that radio with a truck like that.

I can confirm the radio is horrible. The one that came with my Savage XS is way nicer. The one that comes with it feels like it is for a radio shack RC.

If I guess the next upgrade is a spektrum receiver lol.
my thinking was to upgrade the radio at an early point, servo wise should break Em then upgrade or are as cheap as the radio, I checked up on the specs but Idk. ..

The savage X skid plate does fit the XL, it will cover up everything but the rear drive shaft, which is normally never a problem. i run mine like this until i make my own plate, all i was concerned about was rocks and such hitting the break discs and damaging them.

I would also recommend modifying the batteries. Getting them in and out to charge is a royal pain in the ass. I am hoping someone comes out with a lipo based solution that is a better fit.

Back