Something I've always wondered...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what would you have the manufacturers do then? Without driving up cost mind you.
I think there is enough margin for them to better the products without driving the cost up. But you know i could be wrong. It's just something I've always wondered and i don't know what they make on each unit now. I could be all wet and they could be offering the best deal possible. I find that to be unlikely in speculation though considering hardly anyone else ever does.

No large global corporation is going to intentionally cut their profit margins, the CEO would be tossed out on his head the next day by the shareholders and board members. I haven't checked in a long time, but I know traxxas for one used to offer both the entry level, and upgraded platinum level with all the upgrades on some of their rigs like the slash and slayer. Albeit at a higher initial cost to the consumer.

I know..... But a guy could hope.

Also remember that manufacturers are continually refining/upgrading their products. My Revo originally came with a 27MHz AM radio (It never ran with it). They now come with 2.4GHz radios.

You say you wouldn't mind paying a little more if the quality were higher and no issues would be had. In the grand scheme of things, you are in the minority in your thinking. The majority of people now days have the idea that they need to have everything they want so sacrificing a little quality for a cheaper price is ok with them. This is why so many parts/items are cheaply made from china. If one of these r/c's were completely US made with higher quality parts,it would probably cost around 2K for a base T-Maxx.

Being in the plastic molding business for many years I have seen many many part going to be made in China due to cost. Many times I have seen quotes from China for packaged/delivered items for less than just the cost of materials here in the USA. That does not even include the time to build a mold out of the material,time in a machine to form parts,packaging material and delivering costs.
Can all of that stuff cost that much less in China? NO! America wants cheap,China delivers cheap,sometimes at a loss just to hurt the US economy. I think that is catching up to them now and is some of the reason they are now having economic problems.

Manufacturers have to try to market products at a price people will pay and blend it with reasonable quality so they are not drowning in warranty problems. No matter what product you buy,there will be good and bad ones produced/sold. You have to hope when you buy that you get the good one. In r/c if you don't get the good one,at least in my experience,they are willing to work with you to make right.

Back