Some stuff that might be helpfull to others (one way bearing)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintd

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm not the best at writing, but I'll give it a shot. Anyway on my savage I’ve done the throttle-brake mod and the ofna steering mod with good results. Here are something's I haven’t read about. If the screw in the steering servo comes loose for any reason or if you need to readjust it, it becomes a pain in the A$$. So what I’ve done is cut a small slot in the front skid plate with a dremel and it makes it possible to get a good bite with a screw driver on the screw. Also I have had nothing but problems with the rotostart one way bearing. So after checking out how it worked I noticed that when the engine is started it doesn’t even spin the shaft coming out of the engine due to the pin at the end of the crank. So what I did was get a nut about the size of the one-way bearing, drill out the threads until it fit the shaft snugly, then drilled a 1/8 hole in the side of the nut and tapped some threads in the hole. Now on the shaft coming out of the engine I cut a small flat spot with a dremel and used a small socket head grub screw to secure the nut to the shaft. So I went from 2 to 3 one way bearings a month to a full year so far with out a single problem. There is more stuff I've done but I'll post it in a new thread. Clint.

Attachments

• stering servo.JPG
    stering servo.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
clint i like the front skid plate mod but i think some people with alumium skid plates might have a lil trouble with it even though a dremel can cut through anything

I use my truck for some serious bashing so an aluminum skid plate for the front would not be a good idea for me. I had aluminum skid plates on this truck. But if you hit hard it doesn’t absorb the impact as much as the plastic does.

One more thing about the one way bearing. My first experiment was I took an old back plate and shaft and just krazy glued the bearing on. I wouldn’t suggest doing this as a permanent mod. I just wanted to check and see if it would work before I went crazy making a hex for it

just put some lock tight on the screw.

i would love to seee pics w/ the roto mod, and complete wrtie up. wow eliminating a one way bearing totally. alot of cats on the board would love to see it and would be greatly appreciative as well.

As soon as I get a chance I'll take it apart and photograph all the stuff.

So what you're saying is that the shaft coming out of the backplate doesn't spin when the engine is running? Therefore, a one-way isn't necessary on it? Am I interpreting that correctly?

i was under the influence that the one way was for the pull start to be able to return and if your using a rotostart then i would guess you wouldnt need the one way..

On the 5 engines I have had the shaft doesn’t rotate when the engine is running. Some times it may rotate a little bit from drag. It's like the peddles on a ten speed bike. If you take your feet off of them they will start to spin just from the drag. All the engines I have had have a little spring pin on the back of the crank that engages in a slot on the back of the shaft. I don't know if all engines have this. But if you have one that doesn’t I would not suggest doing this mod. I don't think the rotostart gears could handle rotating at 28,000 RPM.

arawak420 said:
just put some lock tight on the screw.

i would love to seee pics w/ the roto mod, and complete wrtie up. wow eliminating a one way bearing totally. alot of cats on the board would love to see it and would be greatly appreciative as well.
I posted links to pictures and directions for the one-way bering mod in the (General Nitro Talk) forum today. It's a little different becuse I did the mod on another motor with what I had around the house today so that I could take pictures. But it's enough to get the general idea and mabey even improved by others input.

Back