soaked differentials

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bifft it

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got one of my savages out last week to test new servos. Its was a 50 degree day here in Nort Deekoter and the snow was a melting and there were large puddles all over the yard. its fun running through puddles of water. I did go upto the muddy driveway and that id where i brake-flipped and broke stuff.
Anyway, i hate putting my savages away all muddy, so yesterday i started the cleaning process(dis-assembly, scrubbing) to remove the muck and mud. when i took my differentuals apart, there was water, in both. now i did not run in any puddles deep enough to cover the differential carriers and let water into them so the best that i can come up with is that my skidplates arent sealing up against the bottom differential plate good enough and the water is getting on the back part of the skid and running down the plate and my ring gear is picking it up and splashing it all over the space where the differental assembly sits. If water can get in, so can dirt and dirt is worse than water
anybody else notice having this issue and how did you fix it?

thats a pretty good idea
ATV is in pretty good supply around my house

Just like sealing a backplate, DON'T tighten them down. Press the parts together and let the sealer cure overnight. That way you create an actual compressible gasket instead of tightening immediately and 'squishing' out the sealant.

Just like sealing a backplate, DON'T tighten them down. Press the parts together and let the sealer cure overnight. That way you create an actual compressible gasket instead of tightening immediately and 'squishing' out the sealant.
Yep, I used to do the same. Can't recall if I bothered with my X though. I don't drive in wet much with my nitros anyway.

Rtv will help a bit, but the cups through the bulks wont be sealed. Tightening the skid should make a seal good enough for splashes. If it goes under well......remember just needs to go to the drive cups to fill.

Back